Compassionate leave for schoolkids? Not from this school!

Sorry, I thought I read the family went on holiday as well?

Somebody through that into the mix I believe.

The article doesn't mention holidays.

Somebody through that into the mix I believe.

The article doesn't mention holidays.

Yep sorry just read the article again.

Starlet83 finishes the thread then?

Yep sorry just read the article again.

Starlet83 finishes the thread then?

Sorry everyone. He made me so angru I should have left him to it and refrained from ranting on here. Sorry!

You can guarantee, that if it was a tradition or religion of a minority to have more than a day for a funeral; they would be fine with it.

You can guarantee, that if it was a tradition or religion of a minority to have more than a day for a funeral; they would be fine with it.

It's common knowledge that all things go to he who shouts the loudest. After listening to the most bigoted intolerant bully of a man on LBC radio about 10 mins ago (& all because his son was sent a christmas card) Im inclined to agree with you.

I have read this thread with a little interest and quite a bit of sadness because exactly one year today I was in the USA when I received a phone call to say that my mother had just died. I was the only child so it was up to me to do all the arrangements even though I was many thousands of miles away. Never having done this before it was quite a challenge but with the aid of the internet and my mobile phone all the arrangements were in place within 2 days, the only things left was for me to visit the registry office to formally report the death when I arrived in the UK, I had already made an appointment to see them, and to finalise the arrangements with the undertakers. I found everyone very helpful via phone and email including the coroner’s office, church, registrar, undertaker etc. in fact although very stressful and sad with long-distance help it all went very smoothly.

This was my experience, a very sad time but very manageable.

I have read this thread with a little interest and quite a bit of sadness because exactly one year today I was in the USA when I received a phone call to say that my mother had just died. I was the only child so it was up to me to do all the arrangements even though I was many thousands of miles away. Never having done this before it was quite a challenge but with the aid of the internet and my mobile phone all the arrangements were in place within 2 days, the only things left was for me to visit the registry office to formally report the death when I arrived in the UK, I had already made an appointment to see them, and to finalise the arrangements with the undertakers. I found everyone very helpful via phone and email including the coroner’s office, church, registrar, undertaker etc. in fact although very stressful and sad with long-distance help it all went very smoothly.

This was my experience, a very sad time but very manageable.

Sorry to hear it blackbeard not only becayse you were away at the time but being so as the only child. Ive found funeral directors to be very efficient, tactful and professional.

Honestly some people have no tact whatsoever! This is about a family I know personally and what they have been through is horrendous and very traumatic. The letter was uncalled for there was no need whatsoever for it to be sent as the school were made aware of their situation.

This has not only been raised to the media but the education board itself.

No one can ever put a timescale on how long arrangements before and after the funeral will take not only that but the grieving can take time. Please have a little bit of consideration before posting such hideous remarks!

It's the funeral of one of their grandparents. A week is perfectly reasonable for that. I had a week when my Grandad was dying and week when he died and still managed to get a 2:1 from a good university.

And it's not just a matter of 'Oh the funeral lasts precisely x hours over x days so that's how much time they need off'.

What about compassion for their parent? What about them needing to see the funeral director, make the sandwiches, register the death, sort out the house and the outstanding bills, contact the solicitors, the TV licence people,the council tax, empty the fridge. All the horrible miserable details and endless sad and hard jobs that come with a death.

But no, we just have 'policies and procedures' now rather than common sense and compassion for other human beings.

Whether a week was right or wrong, the "letter" was completely inappropriate. In the circumstances I would have expected the teacher to have contacted the family to discuss the matter. Sending out the form as this school did was disgraceful behaviour.

I helped a colleague deal with a family death recently and even the template replies from the gas and phone company started by offering their condolences.