Please do not feed the drinkers

Residents have been asked not to feed street drinkers on West Street as it just encourages them to congregate according to a Sheffield community support officer.

Story here from The Star, complete with obligatory spelling mistake

What is the problem with them? as it says:-

"The community support officer stressed the drinkers are not causing trouble, nor are they responsible for a current spate of ‘aggressive begging’ in the area. "

So if people choose to feed them I see no problem. I can see why they congregate there, its because it's covered and lots of people pass each day with spare change.

If it wasn't for the presence of the street drinkers, that old lady might still be lying on her face...

"Tim Renshaw, chief executive of the Cathedral Archer Project which helps the homeless, encouraged people wishing to help to support food provision projects instead such as the Sunday Centre, the Archer Project and St Andrew’s Church." (from the above news paper link)

It seems as though Mr Tim Renshaw does not support the principal /Parable of the good Samaritan, and would like you to give gifts of food to the church instead - interesting!

I personally would prefer to give any charitable act directly to the person, there's something great about knowing you have helped "That" person, rather than just throwing a donation into a box and never knowing who benefited from your act of kindness.

"Tim Renshaw, chief executive of the Cathedral Archer Project which helps the homeless, encouraged people wishing to help to support food provision projects instead such as the Sunday Centre, the Archer Project and St Andrew’s Church." (from the above news paper link)

It seems as though Mr Tim Renshaw does not support the principal /Parable of the good Samaritan, and would like you to give gifts of food to the church instead - interesting!

I personally would prefer to give any charitable act directly to the person, there's something great about knowing you have helped "That" person, rather than just throwing a donation into a box and never knowing who benefited from your act of kindness.

I disagree. I think there are other benefits in encouraging homeless people to go to a central charity like the Archer Project, in that they can get more than food. They can get somewhere warm to sit, medical care if needed and help in getting off the streets, if that is their wish.

And it's a sad fact that donations of money may well be spent on alcohol which isn't going to do much to help the individual. Obviously this doesn't apply to donations of tea and cake.

I am involved in a similar charity to the Archer Project and we are desperate for donations. The number of people using our service has nearly doubled over the last 2 years and each month we serve more meals than the previous month. We do receive donations of food from local businesses and kind local people, but we also need cash to cover our running costs e.g. energy bills, insurance, replacement equipment if we can't persuade someone to give it for free. I think it's fair to say that a cash donation to us will help more people than giving the same amount of cash to any one individual.

I think it's laudable that residents from the nice flats above Tescos have been bringing them down tea and biscuits and cake when the weather is cold. Thorughly commendable.

I think it's laudable that residents from the nice flats above Tescos have been bringing them down tea and biscuits and cake when the weather is cold. Thorughly commendable.

I agree. You should never give beggars money, it just goes straight to whatever addiction they have. Instead, if you want to give something, give them food or warm clothes that you might have spare. If you don't want to do that directly, than by all means support the local charities that look after these people.

I agree. You should never give beggars money, it just goes straight to whatever addiction they have. Instead, if you want to give something, give them food or warm clothes that you might have spare. If you don't want to do that directly, than by all means support the local charities that look after these people.

So people should have what you think they need rather than what they think they want ?

So people should have what you think they need rather than what they think they want ?

Is that what I said???:confused:

You obviously dont walk past this spot then. They are agressive and causing quite a disturbance. I agree with the sentements entirely they should be encouraged to go to places like the archer project is a good example where support can be provided

People feed drunks? like a zoo type situation? how very strange.