My dog is off her food

Hi, any hints on trying to encourage an older dog to eat ...been to vet who gave her a jab and some antibiotics but still not interested ..have tried everything I can think of ..chicken,poach fish; sausage tuna the list is end less any suggestions please

How long ago since the vet saw your dog? If it's still not eating after jab and antibiotics then I would say take it back to the vets - maybe get a 2nd opinion.

Hi saw vet Monday...its 4th day so Im fearing the worst she is nearly 18years old though she still wants to go out for her walk though a lot slower these days ...I suppose Im clutching at straws in hope that she will pick up but cant seem to tempt her back to eating..

Edited by sandyd

Hi, any hints on trying to encourage an older dog to eat ...been to vet who gave her a jab and some antibiotics but still not interested ..have tried everything I can think of ..chicken,poach fish; sausage tuna the list is end less any suggestions please

I was once told to cook some liver for your dog if they won't eat, and it really does seem to be something they can't resist.

Please let us know how your dog gets on, I know how you are feeling at the moment. Best wishes!

You would think after the fourth day of antibiotics she should be getting her appetite back. I would phone the vet at least. I would also be looking for a second opinion.

Try what lll49 says. Hope you see an improvement.

I would say she needs to see the vet again. There are a hundred things it could be, the vet will usually try n treat the most common causes first before putting her through further more invasive tests. They may want to do a blood test to give them a better idea of what's going on.

Edited by Berkana

have been speaking to the vet again but he wont be doing invasive test, he says her teeth could do with a clean but she would not survive the op..she is anemic ...and a fluttery heart again because of her age thats not good and I would not want him doing anything to stress her...she had a waggy tail this morning and a short walk has spent rest of day in sunshine on the lawn so I think its just a matter of time ...

That really is so sad, i know how it feel's but at least you do too. Spend time with her and make her as happy as possible and prepare yourself for what is to come. I can assure you it's much harder for you than it is for her, Don't feel bad for doing the right thing.

Thank you jan2665 for your kind words..I must admit I am dreading the next few days but we will do our best to keep her as happy as possible ,we have another dog 16 year so she will miss her they have never been apart..what she will make of it at the time I dont want to think about that..will see what the weekend brings ..thanks

Aww, that's so sad. At least she's still got a waggy tail and appears to be happy, bless her. It must be awful for you, I can't even begin to imagine how you must be feeling right now.

Make sure you spoil her and show her just how much she's loved xx

It's very sad I have personal experience x2, if you think she is happy enjoy and love her while you can, if you think she is in pain ,take that last trip with her.

Thinking of you sandyd.I went through this my self last year with my old beloved cavalier,I knew in my heart what I had to do but kept putting it off.

When I finally made the decision ,on his last night I was sat in the garden with him at midnight eating ice cream and cheesy wotsits all the things he loved but shouldnt have ,then just me and him sat on the couch all night and watched telly.

It makes me smile when I think about it..

You will know in your heart when its time.x