Bogus Bags - A Charity Shops Struggle

As a Charity shop, we rely on the generosity of the general public so we can keep a well stocked shop, with a wide variety of items which we are able to sell for a good cause!

However it is a day to day battle for stock due to a large number of people putting out bags which go to rag merchants rather than local charities!

Please remember your local, worthwhile charities while you have a clear out!

We accept all stock (apart from large furniture) and will collect if necessary :)

Assuming you are the Mind shop on Devonshire St., then I've got to say that you certainly do rely on the generosity of the general public because you're one of the most expensive charity shops there is, at least for books and cds.

Assuming you are the Mind shop on Devonshire St., then I've got to say that you certainly do rely on the generosity of the general public because you're one of the most expensive charity shops there is, at least for books and cds.

i aggree fully on this one, some charity shops are priced rediculiously :shakes:

i aggree fully on this one, some charity shops are priced rediculiously :shakes:

They've just opened a huge British Heart Foundation furniture store in the city centre.

The rents must be expensive so im sure it wont be cheap. :suspect:

They've just opened a huge British Heart Foundation furniture store in the city centre.

The rents must be expensive so im sure it wont be cheap. :suspect:

now they are expensive :huh:

I used to enjoy going to charity shops, however I recently went to one where a DVD was actually more expensive than buying it new!

I use any charity/collection bags as bin liners. They have been tight with them lately though, as we just get leaflets through and no bags. Cheeky sods.

I use any charity/collection bags as bin liners. They have been tight with them lately though, as we just get leaflets through and no bags. Cheeky sods.

You know, ive never thought of doing that cause they seem quite thin. I just put them in the bin.

I'll try the next one though. :thumbsup:

We are very disappointed to hear this reaction to charity shops. We aim to raise as much money as possible to help people with mental health problems and at only £1.50 for a book and most of our CDs we do not consider ourselves over priced and are sorry you feel this way. Our records are also very cheap at £1 or lower - a price most customers would consider a bargain!

Charity shops do a great job ,but I agree that some of them ,not all ,are way overpriced on some things.

I donate a lot and I would rather see the stuff I donate fly off the shelves at a cheaper price that sit there gathering dust.

We are very disappointed to hear this reaction to charity shops. We aim to raise as much money as possible to help people with mental health problems and at only £1.50 for a book and most of our CDs we do not consider ourselves over priced and are sorry you feel this way. Our records are also very cheap at £1 or lower - a price most customers would consider a bargain!

That's not my reaction to charity shops. It's my reaction to your charity shop. Last time I went in there was a Danielle Dax CD that was priced at £7.99 if I remember rightly. I tend to go on the general idea that £1 for a paperback book or a CD is about right and there are plenty of charity shops that charge this - and some are cheaper. So I would say you're quite expensive, and the chances of my buying anything from you are remote at the moment. Just my personal view though it doesn't sound as though I'm alone in it.

---------- Post added 10-04-2014 at 16:49 ----------

Actually I should say that it may not be entirely in your hands because the Mind shop on London Road is also expensive for books and CDs.

You know, ive never thought of doing that cause they seem quite thin. I just put them in the bin.

I'll try the next one though. :thumbsup:

Seriously, I have not bought bin bags for years. Ta 'Cancer Wish for a Poorly Child' or some other made up chazza!