Clothes Making Workshop/Courses in Sheffield

My partner is wanting to know if there are any courses or workshops in Sheffield (or nearby) that teach people how to make their own clothing, more specifically, lingerie. She has a few ideas to start a small business but it would help if she knew how to create her own designs herself.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Making and designing are totally different skills. I used to make fairly complicated clothes, even lined waistcoats etc as a teenager/young woman but I could only ever alter a pattern, not make my own, unless it was something very basic.

There are dress making classes running in Rotherham but I don't know about classes to suit your partner. What skills have they already? Perhaps it might be worth paying someone for private lessons in pattern making and lingerie. If she isn't good at this already its going to be an uphill struggle to make a business out of it. You are going to need professional rather than domestic sewing machines.

She basically wants to learn some basic skills to make some proto-types for some ideas she has. Once she has a few proto-types she can then approach professional manufacturers or clothing retailers to hopefully get her ideas/designs out there.

So the course isn't so she can mass produce them by herself, it's just so she can turn some of her ideas into reality so she has a working proto-type to demonstrate.

Anyone know of any courses or individuals that would provide one on one training would be much appreciated.

direct knit and sew on attercliffe road do a massive range of courses and have offered lingerie workshops previously.

hope they have something in the not to distant future that may be useful:

http://www.directknitandsew.co.uk/

x

Thanks sophiec1979 - I will let my partner know.