Bedrooom tax hits Sheffield

They could rent privately, like I currently do.

The idea the state owes anyone (including me) a living is an anathema to me. Individual responsibility has been eroded by state responsibility.

No ones saying the state owes anyone a living.

But, we do live in an economic system where full employment is not possible and which has a benefits system to shore that up. So people claiming housing benefit (including many that are working but on low wages) are absolutely entitled to it.

Or would you prefer available work to be shared fairly? So instead of people doing 40/50/60 hrs work a week and hogging it all to themselves, we instead have full employment with everyone working, say, 30 hours a week?

No ones saying the state owes anyone a living.

But, we do live in an economic system where full employment is not possible and which has a benefits system to shore that up. So people claiming housing benefit (including many that are working but on low wages) are absolutely entitled to it.

Or would you prefer available work to be shared fairly? So instead of people doing 40/50/60 hrs work a week and hogging it all to themselves, we instead have full employment with everyone working, say, 30 hours a week?

You can still get HB for a private rent...

Or would you prefer available work to be shared fairly?
Why not share the larger council properties between individual tenants instead?

It's the norm for students and many nest leavers in their "early flight phase".

The benefits system is a nightmare. Whoever thought it was a bright idea to top up low wages with lots of tax credits?

On last nights "don't cut my benefits" someone got just over £800 for a 16 hour job, but only £100 of that was the actual earnings.

By my calculations £800 in 16 hours £50 per hour. Not exactly a realistic wage, unless you are a Doctor.

We need to go back to a system we used to have 15 years ago where peoples wages were enough to pay the bills. I paid 50% of my mortgage off on a part time wage and somehow we need to go back to that kind of set up.

I know this would be brutal but you'd have to make it so working was better than not working like it used to be. Would be hard for some, but to be fair only around 15 years ago, going to work did used to pay the bills

The benefits system is a nightmare. Whoever thought it was a bright idea to top up low wages with lots of tax credits?

On last nights "don't cut my benefits" someone got just over £800 for a 16 hour job, but only £100 of that was the actual earnings.

By my calculations £800 in 16 hours £50 per hour. Not exactly a realistic wage, unless you are a Doctor.

We need to go back to a system we used to have 15 years ago where peoples wages were enough to pay the bills. I paid 50% of my mortgage off on a part time wage and somehow we need to go back to that kind of set up.

I know this would be brutal but you'd have to make it so working was better than not working like it used to be. Would be hard for some, but to be fair only around 15 years ago, going to work did used to pay the bills

Funnily enough,I've just watched that in iPlayer..couldn't believe the £800 total income for 16 hours on minimum wage...also was amazed at the "entitlement" ethos that seemed to percolate through the benefit recipients they featured.." We've got 7 kids this house isn't big enough" sort of thing...but I suppose that's for a different thread..

Funnily enough,I've just watched that in iPlayer..couldn't believe the £800 total income for 16 hours on minimum wage...also was amazed at the "entitlement" ethos that seemed to percolate through the benefit recipients they featured.." We've got 7 kids this house isn't big enough" sort of thing...but I suppose that's for a different thread..

I was quite stunned too.

If someone gave me a free home I'd be saying "thankyou very much" and be very grateful.

but after all the talk,chat ect theres still houses /masionettes,big family homes empty while people are in bed/breakfast accomidation costing far more and add this to the huge amount of empty properties all over England,surely this cannot be right,so why don't the government admit they have got this tax wrong,please don't mix this up with the caps on benefits as this is different thanks,

but after all the talk,chat ect theres still houses /masionettes,big family homes empty while people are in bed/breakfast accomidation costing far more and add this to the huge amount of empty properties all over England,surely this cannot be right,so why don't the government admit they have got this tax wrong,please don't mix this up with the caps on benefits as this is different thanks,

As I've already said, there are no empty properties due to bedroom tax.

But carry on with your agenda anyway.

My dad was a bus driver and my mum didn't work til my younger sister started school, then she got a part time job in a kitchen. And that was enough to raise two children, buy their own home, run a car and have modest holidays at the seaside a couple of times each year. We were not rich but the only benefits were the child benefit they claimed for me and my sister.

Now a days, you would be hard pressed to bring up a family on a bus driver's wage. That is the problem.

so if these propertys are empty if its not down to the bedroom tax its down to the new rules then,but at the end of the day Sheffield council.liverpool and many more have good quality housing stock that cannot even be taken with 1st come 1st served,meaning you only have to be registered to get one as no one qualifys,what other reason for the council boarding them up

By my calculations £800 in 16 hours £50 per hour.

How can it be £50 per hour when by your own admission you have just stated that only £100 of that was the actual earnings?.:huh: