Bedrooom tax hits Sheffield

The main problem as I see it is the unavailability of appropriate* properties for people to move into in order to avoid the benefits cuts. I think that is there are no appropriate properties to move into then the cuts should be waived until such time that they do become available. Telling people that they can either make up the shortfall or move into a non-existent property is just wrong.

* An appropriate property should be of the right size and in the right area. For example saying to someone on minimum they have to move but the house is on the other side of the city could mean they could no longer afford to get to work or get the kids to school.

jb

I think you have a point in theory. Is there any one in the country now living on the street because they couldn't afford to make up the shortfall in housing benefits? If there are then they need to be helped straight away. However, I suspect that there isn't.

I do not buy the "right area" thing though. If you need free housing, you should be housed in the area that is best for the state, not the area that is best for you. Even if this means moving outside of this City. However, I do not believe that this would need to happen in very many cases.

Youre playing directly into the rich mans hands

Youre all arguing and bickering with each other over crumbs!!

Are any of you this passionate about large corporations getting away with not paying billions in tax or the fact the post office got sold off on the cheap to the rich man so he can get richer??

No you guys keep arguing over the small amount of money that some poor person gets or doesnt get....

I work full time, i earn a lot of money and pay a lot of tax. But realise the tactics they employ in order to keep us all divided

I think one of the problems is the temporory and unreliable nature of many jobs that are on offer at the moment. 0 hours and so on.

People would happily take them but what happens when there's a gap? The benefit system can't cope with stopping and starting benefits, being in and out of work, and people end up in arrears with their rent, putting their tenancy at risk.

The only way they can secure their homes is by getting a proper full time job (increasingly hard to come by,) or being on benefits.

That's an excuse not to work if ever I heard one, up there with 'It's not cost effective'!! If people want to work they will, if they don't they will find every excuse in the book to justify their benefit claim!!

Working is always an option for the ones who can, No?

the majority of people who receive housing benefit ARE WORKING.. so what so they do???.

get a better job?, reduce even more their essential spending in some way? or what about getting a freebie from the food banks?..

after all the government thinks that the only reason people go to food banks is because they are more publicized , Ha what planet are they living on? yours maybe? the survival of the fittest

This is a deserved tax that should have been implemented in the first place. People are only complaining because someone realised loads of people have council property that is too large for their needs. If you want a choice in where to live then privately rent or buy somewhere!

Obviously there are exceptions such as a death in the household or a genuine disability that requires a larger property but largely people just seem to be complaining because they now have to pay a fair amount for the size of their property!

It's the ones with kids who stay over a couple of times a week,but have had to downsize to a one bed and now the kids have to sleep on the floor i feel for.

The "beginning of time" is a turn of phrase as you probably know. He doesn't actually mean it should have been implemented back before vertebrates inhabited the planet.

It isn't "your fault" at all, stop feeling so hard done by. You used to be given a lot for free, now you are being given slightly less. Your choice is either stump up the extra cash (a maximum of just 14% if you have one spare bedroom or a maximum of 25% for more than two bedrooms spare).

This still seems an excellent deal to me. With that sort of help I could go and live in a huge house on Dore road.

People effected by this legislation that complain need to take a good look at themselves. This country owes you (or me) absolutely nothing. In fact we (as adults) owe this country a huge deal. It has provided us with a safe and stable place to grow up, free education and free health care. How many other people in the world can say that?

Ask not what this country can do for you (ie I want a nice big house paid for by the state, the spare room is for the TV and XBox) but what you can do for the country (work my socks off so that future generations can enjoy an NHS, free schooling etc).

And it's because of this way of thinking, the government find it easy to keep on screwing the public, who work their socks off.It is not free NHS or schooling though is it? It's paid for by high taxes on the public.The Government don't pay from the goodness of there heart.Personaly, i would like to see the NHS scraped and private health insurance introduced.It would soon clear the country of asylum seekers and other foriegn nationals, that are not contributing.

That's an excuse not to work if ever I heard one, up there with 'It's not cost effective'!! If people want to work they will, if they don't they will find every excuse in the book to justify their benefit claim!!

Really? Have you ever been in that position?

I know someone who desperately wants full time work, but who has had 8 jobs this year. Each time he has gone to work full of hope, and has given it everything in the hope of being taken on full time. But of course it's cheaper to employ people on temparory contracts (sometimes with government subsidies) rather than pay the full cost of employing someone on a permanent basis with pension rights etc.

He's been in and out of work as a result, and he's now in debt and behind with his rent, through not having a regular income.

Unless you've had some experience of it, I don't think you can judge.

the majority of people who receive housing benefit ARE WORKING.. so what so they do???.

get a better job?

Stand the drop and go without stuff, not food obviously, fags, booze, takeaways, nights out, the list is endless. I work 50 odd hours a week and I have to go without, but I don't moan about it. I don't get subsidised housing either or any other benefits for that matter, I stand on my own two feet and live within my means and don't expect ever beggar else to bail me out, then moan about it if they don't.

Are any of you this passionate about large corporations getting away with not paying billions in tax or the fact the post office got sold off on the cheap to the rich man so he can get richer??

No you guys keep arguing over the small amount of money that some poor person gets or doesnt get....

I work full time, i earn a lot of money and pay a lot of tax. But realise the tactics they employ in order to keep us all divided

Best post on here for a while :cool:

I am fairly annoyed about the big corporations not paying the full amount of tax due. However, they are paying huge amounts of tax though NI contributions, VAT and various other things. The unemployed do not contribute financially at all.

And it's because of this way of thinking, the government find it easy to keep on screwing the public, who work their socks off.It is not free NHS or schooling though is it? It's paid for by high taxes on the public.The Government don't pay from the goodness of there heart.Personaly, i would like to see the NHS scraped and private health insurance introduced.It would soon clear the country of asylum seekers and other foriegn nationals, that are not contributing.

A huge number of the people effected by this legislation do not "work their socks of", that is why they are in the position of having to have hand outs to live. Some do work hard in low paid jobs, many do not.

Schooling was free to me as I was a child. I am now helping pay for the generation behind me to be educated, to ensure a stable and competitive society for the future.

You talk of the government "screwing the public" (how?? - they are lowering the amount of free money they are giving out! If you want to screw me be giving me less money for free then please do).

Really? Have you ever been in that position?

I know someone who desperately wants full time work, but who has had 8 jobs this year. Each time he has gone to work full of hope, and has given it everything in the hope of being taken on full time. But of course it's cheaper to employ people on temparory contracts (sometimes with government subsidies) rather than pay the full cost of employing someone on a permanent basis with pension rights etc.

He's been in and out of work as a result, and he's now in debt and behind with his rent, through not having a regular income.

Unless you've had some experience of it, I don't think you can judge.

It is not cheaper to keep hiring new staff as this impacts productivity and training costs are large. If your friend has had 8 jobs in the 13 weeks of this year then your friend is not an employable person. 8 different organisations have deemed his contribution to be insufficient, he hasn't even lasted an average of 2 weeks in each position.

It is the way of the world that you have successes and failures. Your friend is a failure. It is testament to our caring society that your friend is able to feed and house himself. How many other countries in the world would be so compassionate to a person who has nothing to contribute? Your friend is lucky he is here.

The empty properties are nothing to do with the bedroom tax, it is, and has for a long time been a difficult area to let properties, especially family homes. (as is winn gardens).

Council policy will now not allow you to take a property that is deemed to large for your needs ( be affected by bedroom tax), but they will do for gleadless valley and winn. Simply because nobody really wants to live there.