Bedrooom tax hits Sheffield

Bedroom tax makes perfect sense to me.

If your lucky enough to live in a council house thats too big for you then you have to pay for the extra space.

If you cant afford it then that even more reason for you not to have that property.

Simples

Define too big. You can't because it's subjective

Being subjective about property size is a luxury you have when you are paying for it yourself.

With regards to bedrooms it's really very easy, watch.

1 occupant with greater than 1 bedroom = too big.

1 occupant with exactly 1 bedroom = not too big.

This scales.

2 occupants with greater than 1 bedroom = still too big (if they're a couple)

1 adult + 1 child with 2 bedrooms = not too big

1/2 adults + 1 child with 3 bedrooms = too big

See how objective that all is. How many bedrooms are required, more than that and it's too big.

---------- Post added 19-04-2014 at 23:44 ----------

No, businesses aren't VAT-exempt. Most are VAT-registered (either because turnover exceeds the compulsory-registration trigger or because they register voluntarily). Certain supplies of goods/services are exempt. All the rest carry VAT, at rates of 0% ("zero-rated") or 5% or 20%. See https://www.gov.uk/vat-rates

Yes, I run a VAT registered business myself thanks.

Businesses charge VAT to customers, they pass on the payments to HMRC after making deductions for the VAT they themselves have paid on purchasing supplies. (In the majority of cases).

None registered businesses won't charge VAT, but still pay it when buying things.

At the end of the day, the private customer pays VAT, not businesses. Businesses just collect it and pass it on.

---------- Post added 19-04-2014 at 23:45 ----------

Not at all, there are very few 3 bed properties available in most areas, the only ones that are difficult to let are in areas people just do not want to live. And to be fair they won't be empty for that long. The op is way off the mark with this thread.

So basically the entire thread is misleading? There are not a large number of 3 bed properties standing empty because people don't want reduced HB by moving into them?

With regards to bedrooms it's really very easy, watch.

1 occupant with greater than 1 bedroom = too big.

1 occupant with exactly 1 bedroom = not too big.

This scales.

2 occupants with greater than 1 bedroom = still too big (if they're a couple)

1 adult + 1 child with 2 bedrooms = not too big

1/2 adults + 1 child with 3 bedrooms = too big

See how objective that all is. How many bedrooms are required, more than that and it's too big.

---------- Post added 19-04-2014 at 23:44 ----------

Yes, I run a VAT registered business myself thanks.

Businesses charge VAT to customers, they pass on the payments to HMRC after making deductions for the VAT they themselves have paid on purchasing supplies. (In the majority of cases).

None registered businesses won't charge VAT, but still pay it when buying things.

At the end of the day, the private customer pays VAT, not businesses. Businesses just collect it and pass it on.

---------- Post added 19-04-2014 at 23:45 ----------

So basically the entire thread is misleading? There are not a large number of 3 bed properties standing empty because people don't want reduced HB by moving into them?

Yes. The properties the op refers to are in certain areas, (hard to let areas) the rules for bidding on these have been changed so that people can place bids even if they are going to be under occupied .

the question I ask is if you bid for these propertys do you have to pay the bedroom tax?

also if there are no propertys to move to,or down size to it makes the whole lot a shambles,so why not start again,build bungalows and 1 bed flats and the older will move,

the younger will take the flats and the houses will be for familys,surveys by scc,proved in

2012 that most pensioners would move to a bungalow if they had them available,till then

abolish this hated tax now as its hated all over the country causing misery and mayham and will be abolished by labour if they win in 2015 anyway,this is my opinion,not everyones,but thanks for all your comments on this topic

They are empty because they are difficult to let, what part of that are you struggling to grasp?

You can bid on these properties even if you were to be under occupying.

Incorrect - the Sheffield Property Shop website will only let you see which properties you are eligible for. Therefore, it stops people being able to bid for properties with more bedrooms than the lettings policy allows.

The website will simply not let a single person bid for 2 bedroom properties; a family with 1 child to bid for a 3 bedroom etc.

the question I ask is if you bid for these propertys do you have to pay the bedroom tax?

Nobody has to pay a "bedroom tax" as there's no such thing.