Bedrooom tax hits Sheffield

letters have gone out that due to new rules theres a lack of intrest in 3 bedroom propertys in Sheffield 14 area,seems that this dreaded tax has got here,same as Liverpool and other citys,so we end up with propertys having to be boarded up empty like many other citys ,while waiting lists get bigger,and this time its not the councils fault,its about time this tax was scrapped and these propertys were allocated to people who need some where to live,hope some one sees sense on this issue thanks

I think they should where possible turn some of these houses into flats.

The problem being they would need money to invest into the properties to do it which they won't have. Meanwhile houses become empty and they loose yet more revenue.

This Government have not thought this through what so ever, all they have done is create a big issue in peoples lives for little benefit.

It isn't a tax. It is a reduction in the amount of free money people get if they have one or more extra bedrooms.

Does anyone seriously believe that people should get oversized houses for free (or at a drastically reduced rental price).

Whilst it's implementation hasn't been perfect, I would suggest that most people who understand what the legislation actually is support it. Anyone who calls it a "tax" is either being willfully misleading or is ignorant of the legislation.

Welcome to Sheffield.

Obviously the people who think the world owes them an income do, and I don't believe in a million years there isn't larger families out there crying out for larger housing, That's one of the reasons this was introduced in the first place.

Typical "I've had my benefits cut" thread, tiresome :roll:

It isn't a tax. It is a reduction in the amount of free money people get if they have one or more extra bedrooms.

Does anyone seriously believe that people should get oversized houses for free (or at a drastically reduced rental price).

Whilst it's implementation hasn't been perfect, I would suggest that most people who understand what the legislation actually is support it. Anyone who calls it a "tax" is either being willfully misleading or is ignorant of the legislation.

Welcome to Sheffield.

Absolutely spot on.

Who have the letters gone out to? And are these larger properties only in S14?

Perhaps they aren't where larger families want to live, or perhaps they aren't houses, but maisonettes, which are never as popular. Or, perhaps there aren't any homeless families desperate for council accommodation. Considering Sheffield is meant to have an enormous waiting list, it seems very odd that no-one wants these. :confused:

Welcome to Sheffield.

It's a pity they can't do a Maria Miller and borrow £90,000 from the taxpayer to buy their gaff.

letters have gone out that due to new rules theres a lack of intrest in 3 bedroom propertys in Sheffield 14 area,seems that this dreaded tax has got here,same as Liverpool and other citys,so we end up with propertys having to be boarded up empty like many other citys ,while waiting lists get bigger,and this time its not the councils fault,its about time this tax was scrapped and these propertys were allocated to people who need some where to live,hope some one sees sense on this issue thanks

Can you let me know where these properties in S14 are please?

Nobody has stopped to think about the impact that benefit cuts has on peoples lives.

Working is always an option for the ones who can, No?

Welcome to Sheffield.

Do you know what, regardless of title or weather this is a tax or a reduction that sort of post was done to death last year and was a completely different thread, i am unemployed and have been paying it for must be a year now just been another hurdle to get over such is life,

but if this is right what basset one is stating then surely councils are becoming worse off to something that wasn't thought out properly i could bleat on but what the point if this is just going to be bash benefit claimants version 2 !!!

Edited by Leadhammer
spellling

Not always, work doesn't suit everyone

What through illness or disability? I've got every sympathy for those people, unfortunately there are abusers who "work" the benefit system and spoil it for genuine claimants. That's life I'm afraid, I have to pay about £30 a year extra on my car insurance to make up for the fraud that occurs in that sector, but crap happens.

Not always, work doesn't suit everyone

Your quite right

It certainly doesnt suit me. Id love to stay in bed instead of getting up at 6:30am

And Id rather have lots of spare time instead of having a job to do.

And Id rather be given a handout than earn a wage from working 50-60 hours a week.

But then again having a house that is mine and paid for, with a couple of spare bedrooms and no hassel of my wages being cut because of the rooms. I think the working might just beat the benefit system.