Phone scam..please read

At 3.30 this afternoon I was phoned by a gentleman with a foreign accent saying I was entitled to a repayment from my building society.

He told me my name, address and contact number and asked me, for security reasons, to give him my date of birth, I gave a false on, he told me this was authorised. He then said in the next few days I will be getting, through the post, a cheque for £1500 and which bank I would be paying it into. I told him a false one and he said that had also been authorised.

He then asked me, for security reasons and to get the cheque processed, he would like to confirm my card details. I told him that my card was not near me. I asked him, as I was busy, for his name and contact details and I would phone him back with the remaining details. On this request he put the phone down.

I know its an old scam but obviously people still fall for it or they would not do it.

Some of the 'Phishing' scams are quite convincing.

I get a regular one from Natwest asking me to log in. I dont have a Natwest account.

Or the Paypal one is quite common.

Edited by Clown Shoes

I had an email, with attached pictures, saying I had hurt their car that morning, and to view and respond otherwise I would face legal action, !! windows already had removed attachment as a virus, but made me laugh, not even been out.

Wonder if I'd given the car a dirty look to hurt it :) :)

I had an email, with attached pictures, saying I had hurt their car that morning, and to view and respond otherwise I would face legal action, !! windows already had removed attachment as a virus, but made me laugh, not even been out.

Wonder if I'd given the car a dirty look to hurt it :) :)

I had a cracking email from HMRC saying I was entitled to a £432.96 tax refund, I only needed to give my account and card number and security code.

I'm still waiting for it and I actually need it now because I've had the house re-possessed :hihi:

I'd give them my ex's card details. She deserves all the grief she gets