Sheffield forum not as good as it used to be?

Or start some threads on a subject that does interest you. If it is of interest to others you will get responses.

It is true that a lot of the best posters that I remember from some years ago have decamped, many to Facebook.

So it is up to those of us remaining here to make it interesting.

Edited to add, there are many good posters here now and we need to keep it a lively forum so that others will join in.

A forum and facebook are totally different though, how could you decamp to facebook?

---------- Post added 08-04-2014 at 12:35 ----------

Could this be a cause of cyber bullying? as I always end up a target for duplication when I haven't put more then one of the same ad up.

A cause or a case?

It's probably just an over strict mod who saw that you had posted the same item in the for sale and the swaps section.

Well it seems to be in decline since 03-07-2011 at 20:28.

Elaborate :huh:

I used to post quite a lot on here, now I get tired of reading the put-downs, the 'witty' replies, the spelling police but most of all the posters who, because they are anonymous, feel that they can say nasty, hurtful things to someone asking for advice.

I think it's a brilliant forum, always come on for a read/nosey :)

Hi just wondering if any body else as notice that the site is going down hill

I think it's been going that way for some time.

I used to post quite a lot on here, now I get tired of reading the put-downs, the 'witty' replies, the spelling police but most of all the posters who, because they are anonymous, feel that they can say nasty, hurtful things to someone asking for advice.

Not everyone is like that :)

But unfortunately whether it is on a forum or in person, you'll always come across those type of folk..

Don't let them get you ;)

A forum and facebook are totally different though, how could you decamp to facebook?
Finite amount of time to devote to online banter + multiplication of outlets for it (Vbulletin, FB, Twitter <etc.>) = people don't spend twice as long bantering online, whereby some outlets (FB) may gain at the expense of others (SF). And reciprocally, probably.

FB is exclusive (it's friends-only, as far as I understand the thing, so content is private), whereas SF is inclusive (anyone can jump in, content is and stays public). Ergo, "quality" posters leaving the inclusive camp translates as a perceivable drop in the "quality" of content...I think/IMHO.

Well, let me rephrase it.

A number of posters left SF in favour of Facebook. One called Jabberwocky springs to mind.

I know the two are different, I use both.

Edited by esme
quote tags

I only really log on once every few months these days. Forums are old platforms and while still useful, more people have moved to other avenues of communication (twitter being an example). It was good and useful in the early 2000's but like with any new technology... people move on.

Not everyone is like that :)

But unfortunately whether it is on a forum or in person, you'll always come across those type of folk..

Don't let them get you ;)

Awww I don't let them get to me - I can argue my point til the cows come home,:hihi: but when you're not involved in it it's boring and detracts from the thread. It turns into endless posts with certain people trying to out-do each other in the 'witty' put-downs and the need to appear cleverer, richer whatever.

Elaborate :huh:

That's when the last, most people were online at once record was made, so theoretically that's when it was at it's peak (counting members online).

Awww I don't let them get to me - I can argue my point til the cows come home,:hihi: but when you're not involved in it it's boring and detracts from the thread. It turns into endless posts with certain people trying to out-do each other in the 'witty' put-downs and the need to appear cleverer, richer whatever.

I think a lot of them sit with a dictionary and encyclopaedia in all honesty :hihi:

---------- Post added 08-04-2014 at 13:43 ----------

That's when the last, most people were online at once record was made, so theoretically that's when it was at it's peak (counting members online).

Ahhhh i thought you was going to something funny about a topic that was posted hahaha :D