What is your vote based on?

Will not vote for NewLIEbour as they almost bankrupt the Country when last in power. Will not vote for Boy Dave and his cohorts due to what they have done to the disabled and the "lower classes" Will not vote for Clogg as his band of Libs as they will be obliterated at the next election, and he himself is economical with the truth.

So there is only Nigel Farage's party left as far as I am concerned, the best of a pretty poor bunch of Parliamentarians.

Angel.

Fair enough. Do you think it is unfair that your vote is not likely to make a big difference (it might in the case of Farage this time round of course) due to the first past the post system?

AngelFire makes some good observations.

In my opinion.

Labour will make all the right noises then set us on a spiral of debt.

Conservatives will make all the right noises then set us on a spiral of zero hours contracts and thousands of jobs which pay menial wages.

Liberals have a few policies but may pick up some seats because of the above.

UKIP will make a lot of noise about immigration and Europe but will pick up minimal seats.

Therefore we could end up in the same situation as now.

When you vote, do you vote in regards to how you will be affected individually, or do you vote in regards to how the country will be affected? because of course, these two can be completely different things.

I am sure most people are disillusioned with politics, any vote that means more than just a protest is all I am aiming for.

I have always found the Liberal Democrats to make a lot of sense, but not driven by ideology. But the environment is my main concern these days. But not of the parties address the solutions, and I am to the far right of the Greens.

For me UKIP sound good too, but not many serious polices.

AngelFire makes some good observations.

In my opinion.

Labour will make all the right noises then set us on a spiral of debt.

Conservatives will make all the right noises then set us on a spiral of zero hours contracts and thousands of jobs which pay menial wages.

And a spiral of debt, which is why they borrowed more money in 2 years than in 3 whole terms under the previous government

The three whole terms when the economy was booming on a financial and housing market bubble and when the labour government squandered it all and saved nothing because Gordon Brown had "eliminated" boom and bust... Woops.

Thanks for the responses guys, some interesting views here.

The EU elections next month provide a perfect opportunity for people reluctant to vote UKIP at a general election (I agree they lack political maturity and depth) to send a message to the main parties ahead of the general election. If people want the main parties to toughen their position re immigration and/or EU interference with our laws then a vote for UKIP at the EU elections will be a vote well spent.

EU and local elections are protest votes.

The economy is key to winning General Elections. This is why Gideon, Ed and Vince and so high profile in their respective parties.

At a general election the party perceived to be most likely to keep the economy stable/on track always wins. That's been the case in every general election since WW2.

Who is UKIP's economic expert?

If people want the main parties to toughen their position re immigration and/or EU interference with our laws then a vote for UKIP at the EU elections will be a vote well spent.
Labour are getting on that bandwagon.

Entirely as expected I might add, it's the exact same political dynamic as in any other European state wherein the populists have made perceived headway on the back of anti-immigration rethoric.

Labour are getting on that bandwagon.

Entirely as expected I might add, it's the exact same political dynamic as in any other European state wherein the populists have made perceived headway on the back of anti-immigration rethoric.

Good, let the Tories and Labour bend themselves backwards to appeal to what they perceive to be the majority, than LibDem can get all the other votes and we might have a one-party government that can actually move us all forward instead of chasing the golden goose around.

(I can hope, can't I?)

The economy is key to winning General Elections. This is why Gideon, Ed and Vince and so high profile in their respective parties.

At a general election the party perceived to be most likely to keep the economy stable/on track always wins. That's been the case in every general election since WW2.

Who is UKIP's economic expert?

I had to look it up! Steven Woolfe has been appointed as UKIP economic spokesman.

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 11:24 ----------

Not enough though.

The Tories are also trying to present a tough stance and failing. They announced this week that EU immigrants will have to wait 3 months before the state will pay them more in benefits than they pay in taxes. Damage limitation policies simply aren't enough. We need a commitment to stop immigrants coming here who will be negative contributors i.e. not paying their equal share in the cost of running the country.

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 11:28 ----------

Good, let the Tories and Labour bend themselves backwards to appeal to what they perceive to be the majority, than LibDem can get all the other votes and we might have a one-party government that can actually move us all forward instead of chasing the golden goose around.

(I can hope, can't I?)

Bending backwards? The lean is so small you'd need an electron-microscope to see it.

UKIP has more chance of winning the next election outright than the Lib Dems... but you can hope. :D

No sorry, but they are about policies made at EU or local level, and affected by what goes in in Strasbourg, Brussels and the Town Hall.

I vote differently in local elections to how I vote in European elections, and differently again to how I choose which MP I want representing me at a general election. You have to judge each election on it's own merits, and the policies that will be affected by that election.

Therefore my vote in local elections is based on local issues, and what I know of local politicians. At EU elections I look more at issues such as trade, EU reform and stuff like the Common Agricultural Policy.

Edited by Stoatwobbler