What is your vote based on?

Just curious. I'm at a bit of a crossroads in politics. I have never been a supporter of one particular party (and never will be, as that is ludicrous). At the moment, I am not liking anything that is on offer.

I'm liking a few things that UKIP are saying, regarding immigration etc. But I am also worried that they could be over the top once in power, and what things they do could affect my job etc (as I work in a particular sector that will change depending on whom is voted in next). THe same worries about all of them really.

Anyway onto my question:

When you vote, do you vote in regards to how you will be affected individually, or do you vote in regards to how the country will be affected? because of course, these two can be completely different things.

For me it is always an alignment with my principles and ideas about which policies we (as a country) need. I vote based on the program and although no party will ever align with it perfectly there is always a party that gets closer than the other.

I eliminate those that have policies I really can not be doing with, so a party that has 90% policies that I agree with but is determined to get us out of Europe is not going to get my vote. Nor would a party that increases the "us v. them" debate.

I have always voted for the party that has policies I believe are good.

Sadly, my vote is always wasted, because I never vote for Labour but the beggars keep winning in my ward.

I refuse to vote, as there's no-one who represents my views.

I don't vote, but people generally vote to suit themselves, or as good as it can get for them, rather than for the benefit of the nation ... whatever that might be

What unique insight do you have Mecky that you know what people generally do with regards to voting?

Personally I vote based on a combination of policies and principles, and looking at both the personal and the affect on the country as a whole.

I try and choose the best candidate with the best policies.

The trouble is, with the political parties being so dreadful at present it usually ends up being the least worst of a very poor bunch.

I always make an effort to get out and vote though. If you do not vote the powers that bill will not listen, which is why politicians prefer to pander to those groups in society that do vote.

I try and choose the best candidate with the best policies.

The trouble is, with the political parties being so dreadful at present it usually ends up being the least worst of a very poor bunch.

I always make an effort to get out and vote though. If you do not vote the powers that bill will not listen, which is why politicians prefer to pander to those groups in society that do vote.

I disagree. Voting only serves to validate the crap they continually serve up. You only have to look at the most recent expenses case to see how they hold us in complete and utter contempt.

How does not voting help to fix that? You've disenfranchised yourself.

Yep. All not voting does is make it easy for the politicians to ignore your contempt for them.

I strongly dislike most politicians but if I vote, they have to take that into account and therefore, there is more of a chance of them improving then if I don't make the effort to vote.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

It doesn't help change it i agree, but nothing ever will imo. Politics is too corrupt to ever be saved, again imo. The majority are in it for themselves, not those they pretend to represent. Breaking election promises is the norm these days.

Everyone that turned out to vote for a party with MP's that fiddled their expenses, is saying, do what you like, rip us off as much as you like and we will still vote for you.