Anti-virus and Legal standing

Have a read at my post, if they were going to fiddle anyone then I would have been a likely candidate due to my lack of knowledge with computers - people knock PC World the same as they knock Windows 8.

It doesn't matter where you shop and for what.......all sales staff are trained in trying to sell extra's to customers, they are however told not to pressurise but make recommendations.....

I know this having worked both in retail and wholesale.

Are you claiming it didn't happen then?

I've heard them use similar outright lies about anti virus software - they are currently pushing MacAffee, claiming its the best out there and the free options are not as good (a complete lie).

I've heard them tell users lies about iPad models, software, scart leads, hdmi leads.

How do you know the OP is not telling Porkies just to get a reponce ?

Long experience with the complete cobblers that PC Wolrd spout tell me that the original posters account is probably corrent.

Seems strange that someone like the Op who most likely knows more about computers than me is offered extra's that he doesn't need........and me who knows very little ( and I told them that before making my purchase ) and could have been sold extra's wasn't offered any.

Infact rather than sell me Antivirus Software, Microsoft Office etc, they told me what websites to look on for free downloads.

Don't believe all you hear - a lot of people on here make a post just to get a reaction.

Most PCWorld staff are good I suspect. There are always a few bad apples, and I've seen it several times, and heard them at it even when I'm just browsing for things.

you're suggesting the OP is telling tall tales whilst you're expecting people to believe you're totally honest. what's the difference.

Btw, you still haven't answered my question.

pot/kettle ?

Why are you having a go at me, all I'm saying is that I've never had a bad experience with PC World - what would I hope to achieve in telling lies, everything I have said is 100% genuine.

As for me being honest, take time out to have a browse through all my posts regarding questions I have asked asked in Computer & Tech Chat requesting help due to my ability with computers.........I'll say it again, I don't know any of the sales staff personally at PC World so I'm not sticking up for anyone, but there are two lads who work there who help me no end and never try to sell me stuff I don't need.

Why are you having a go at me, all I'm saying is that I've never had a bad experience with PC World - what would I hope to achieve in telling lies, everything I have said is 100% genuine.

As for me being honest, take time out to have a browse through all my posts regarding questions I have asked asked in Computer & Tech Chat requesting help due to my ability with computers.........I'll say it again, I don't know any of the sales staff personally at PC World so I'm not sticking up for anyone, but there are two lads who work there who help me no end and never try to sell me stuff I don't need.

I'm not "having a go" as such. You have an opinion, the OP has an opposing one. You suggested they may be making it up. The only reason i can see for that is a differing of experiences. Both are probably wholly true.

Actually you're suggesting that it didn't happen to the OP. You've not just shared your lucky escape, you've made out that it never happens.

Perhaps you work for them.

1. They were adamant that we needed a £30 dongle with windows on it or we could never have windows re-installed, I took this as false and so we said no.

I would imagine that they're trying to push an in-store service.

A few years ago you stopped getting Recovery CDs with machines. Instead you got a couple of blank DVDs and some image making recovery software on the machine.

Regarding the "dongle" either they didn't fully know what they where talking about (possible) or you misunderstood (also possible even if you can't admit it).

This is the real situation: windows when it comes with computers has a recovery partition. You can choose to create restore discs/flash for recovery. THIS CAN ONLY BE DONE ONCE. You can wither use 4x DVDr to create the recovery, or you can use a USB flash pen drive. Once the recovery is created, as previously said, you cannot make another.

This is essential in order to reinstall windows (unless you can use the recovery). If the drive fails, you no longer have the recovery partition, and you will have to use the discs, or flash drive.

I am thinking that this is what might have been said to you, but maybe you misunderstood, or even they misunderstood the training.

Hope this helps.

As for antivirus, that is what they call a hard sell, and you can ignore that.

Last two laptops I got from curries, I went in knowing what one I wanted, gave them the product code and got them without any hard sells. With my current laptop I was given the advice about the recovery.

Interesting about the dongle and only being able to make a recovery disk once. Not sure if this is the manufacturer or limitation in windows. Havin looked on the net there does seem to be a workaround though.

Oh there always is, but that is the legal part for the licensed software.

What I did, make DVD recovery discs, and make disc images of them.

Regarding the "dongle" either they didn't fully know what they where talking about (possible) or you misunderstood (also possible even if you can't admit it).

This is the real situation: windows when it comes with computers has a recovery partition. You can choose to create restore discs/flash for recovery. THIS CAN ONLY BE DONE ONCE. You can wither use 4x DVDr to create the recovery, or you can use a USB flash pen drive. Once the recovery is created, as previously said, you cannot make another.

This is essential in order to reinstall windows (unless you can use the recovery). If the drive fails, you no longer have the recovery partition, and you will have to use the discs, or flash drive.

I am thinking that this is what might have been said to you, but maybe you misunderstood, or even they misunderstood the training.

The two guys that dealt with us said differing things.

The first guy with the anti virus hard sell stated that for an extra £30 the laptop would come with a dongle with a backup of windows on it. He said it was a special from the company and they only had one left in stock.

The second guy stated that, you will need a 32GB dongle in order to back up your windows installation. Which I know to be true as it wont fit on a 16GB dongle and 32GB is the next size up.

So whether the first guy was trying to sell me a 32GB dongle for £30 or there is actually a dongle available with windows on it I dont know.

Well we have to take the OP at face value in this scenario, or there's little point in a forum. So can you answer the question based on that.

That statement will be coming back to bite you ;)