Anti-virus and Legal standing

Hi, went shopping the other day for a new laptop for my girlfriend, we went to pc-world where we found one with good specs for a decent price that she liked the look of. Obviously we expected the hard sell of extras and anti virus software etc. but we got what I consider to be complete and utter lies which is why I am here to ask you guys for some clarification.

1. They were adamant that we needed a £30 dongle with windows on it or we could never have windows re-installed, I took this as false and so we said no.

2. The salesman was also very insistent on us having anti virus as your computer is completely un-protected without it. I then went on to say that windows defender is more than adequate for the average user. He then went on to say that if she did not have paid for anti virus software installed then if the computer was to be attacked then she would not be covered by the bank if her details were stolen. I have never heard of this so i'm guessing that he was just making stuff up for a sale.

Or have I got both points wrong and I should have paid another £100 on top of the price for the laptop.

I'd have walked out of the shop and told them to stick it up their arse.

You should put a complaint in to the manager, maybe also trading standards.

Hi, went shopping the other day for a new laptop for my girlfriend, we went to pc-world where we found one with good specs for a decent price that she liked the look of. Obviously we expected the hard sell of extras and anti virus software etc. but we got what I consider to be complete and utter lies which is why I am here to ask you guys for some clarification.

1. They were adamant that we needed a £30 dongle with windows on it or we could never have windows re-installed, I took this as false and so we said no.

2. The salesman was also very insistent on us having anti virus as your computer is completely un-protected without it. I then went on to say that windows defender is more than adequate for the average user. He then went on to say that if she did not have paid for anti virus software installed then if the computer was to be attacked then she would not be covered by the bank if her details were stolen. I have never heard of this so i'm guessing that he was just making stuff up for a sale.

Or have I got both points wrong and I should have paid another £100 on top of the price for the laptop.

you were right on both counts. what he said to you was rubbish, you should write to head office.youll probably get an apology

I've always found PC World sales staff more than helpful and never been pressurised into buying anything that was not needed when making a purchase.

My computer knowledge is very basic, there's two lads who work at PC World who are absolute gems and have helped me out, answering my questions many times in terms I can understand when I've had problems.

It was only a few months ago that I decided to upgrade from a desktop Windows 7 computer

to a Windows 8 laptop ( which worried me being an operating system I didn't think I would understand due to my computer knowledge ) between them, these two lads helped me out and explained everything to me in clarity - I bought the laptop.

No-one tried to sell me extra items for it ?

Load of rubbish. Fortunately you know if you arent sure then you can ask here.

Unfortunately he recognised you werent very techy and thought to abuse that. I dont think all pc world staff are like that but I dont really buy from them and if I did I wouldnt take rubbish.

1. No idea what the dongle was- you just need a coa.

2. People favour various programs. Perhaps dont have your bank details on your pc and then they cant be stolen? Nope for paid v unpaid imo. Not sure its even a requirment you have antivirus.

This is outright fraud. Get them reported as i said above.

cheers guys, just wanted to check for the girlfriends sake rather than mine.

I would put a complaint in but the guy was quite canny in the way he went about things, he "advised" us and fetched the laptop, he then passed it onto a colleague who did nothing but put the details through there system and his name is on the sales receipt. Wouldnt be fair on that guy to put a complaint in.

Explain it when you complain. the next customer may not be so wise, and could be taken for a good few quid, for something they don't need.

Explain it when you complain. the next customer may not be so wise, and could be taken for a good few quid, for something they don't need.

Have a read at my post, if they were going to fiddle anyone then I would have been a likely candidate due to my lack of knowledge with computers - people knock PC World the same as they knock Windows 8.

It doesn't matter where you shop and for what.......all sales staff are trained in trying to sell extra's to customers, they are however told not to pressurise but make recommendations.....

I know this having worked both in retail and wholesale.

Have a read at my post, if they were going to fiddle anyone then I would have been a likely candidate due to my lack of knowledge with computers - people knock PC World the same as they knock Windows 8.

It doesn't matter where you shop and for what.......all sales staff are trained in trying to sell extra's to customers, they are however told not to pressurise but make recommendations.....

I know this having worked both in retail and wholesale.

So you think blatant lies to gain a sale are ok ?

cheers guys, just wanted to check for the girlfriends sake rather than mine.

I would put a complaint in but the guy was quite canny in the way he went about things, he "advised" us and fetched the laptop, he then passed it onto a colleague who did nothing but put the details through there system and his name is on the sales receipt. Wouldnt be fair on that guy to put a complaint in.

This is it to get anywhere you have to have evidence. He is at an advantage as he is more techy so he can deny or say you misunderstood. I just wouldnt buy from there.

If hed tried it on like that with me he'd have been sorry.

So you think blatant lies to gain a sale are ok ?

How do you know the OP is not telling Porkies just to get a reponce ?

Seems strange that someone like the Op who most likely knows more about computers than me is offered extra's that he doesn't need........and me who knows very little ( and I told them that before making my purchase ) and could have been sold extra's wasn't offered any.

Infact rather than sell me Antivirus Software, Microsoft Office etc, they told me what websites to look on for free downloads.

Don't believe all you hear - a lot of people on here make a post just to get a reaction.