Bus drivers and disability passes.

Carry both parts of the pass! 1. Your mobility card and 2. Your extension pass 3=no problem!!

First bus drivers are trained in customer service, unfortunately they deal daily with people who don't deserve their training. As with any job you get good and bad, don't tar everyone with the same brush.

The majority of drivers from every company are great and have to deal with a lot of stress and nonsense which can understandably wind them up, most deal with it well, some have days when they have had enough.

I have been on a First bus when two lads were getting on using the new passes, the driver was not aware of the changes and challenged, luckily one of the lads was able to explain and even though the driver was not aware he let them travel, with no hassle. Not everyone is bad.

I hope by now everything is running smoothly and no further harm or trauma has come to those concerned.

Please remember bus drivers are people too, and not something unpleasant you stepped in, if EVERYONE treated them with respect ALL the time, as anyone should, you will also be treated with the same respect ALL the time.

First bus drivers are trained in customer service, unfortunately they deal daily with people who don't deserve their training. As with any job you get good and bad, don't tar everyone with the same brush.

The majority of drivers from every company are great and have to deal with a lot of stress and nonsense which can understandably wind them up, most deal with it well, some have days when they have had enough.

I have been on a First bus when two lads were getting on using the new passes, the driver was not aware of the changes and challenged, luckily one of the lads was able to explain and even though the driver was not aware he let them travel, with no hassle. Not everyone is bad.

I hope by now everything is running smoothly and no further harm or trauma has come to those concerned.

Please remember bus drivers are people too, and not something unpleasant you stepped in, if EVERYONE treated them with respect ALL the time, as anyone should, you will also be treated with the same respect ALL the time.

The driver should have known about the New passes anyway it's not our job to update them

Looks like a problem from the top.

Yes I agree he should have known but was posting as an example of where even though he didn't, he dealt with it in the correct way. Agree that the message from the top should have been cascaded correctly to all the drivers, unfortunately it wasn't and situations like this occurred.

Carry both parts of the pass! 1. Your mobility card and 2. Your extension pass 3=no problem!!

In all cases they were, both passes, shown to drivers.

It's not just kids from special school who have these passes, my son has one and he goes to mainstream.

Edited by hatter

Why are so many people hell bent on insulting bus drivers. One of the posts on this thread which doesn't even warrant a "quote" seems to imply that bus drivers should be doing something useful like curing cancer. I find silly comments like this insulting to anybody with a disability. I have narcolepsy and therefore have to rely on the buses as I am not allowed to drive so for me and thousands of other people they are more than useful wether disabled or not! The bus drivers of Sheffield provide us all with a fantastic service and yes they get things wrong from time to time but don't we all? We are all human after all! :thumbsup:

EXACTLY, human, so why turn an obviously handicapped boy off the bus when he has no idea how that child will cope/get to school/ go back home. Yes there had been a change re buss passes and certain drivers/s may not have been up to speed but they are human, we all have kids/family, we all have or should have compassion, they could have helped not just thrown off bus.

EXACTLY, human, so why turn an obviously handicapped boy off the bus when he has no idea how that child will cope/get to school/ go back home. Yes there had been a change re buss passes and certain drivers/s may not have been up to speed but they are human, we all have kids/family, we all have or should have compassion, they could have helped not just thrown off bus.

I persume the driver (maybe a she?) was following the rules that he/she thought were correct at the time. If an inspector was to board the bus and found he/she had not checked the fare properly then they would be in trouble. The confusion doesn't just occur with vulnerable travelers...there was an equal amount of confusion a few months ago on the validity of first south yorks tickets and vice versa on stagecoach 120 and 52 services! :|

The driver should have known about the New passes anyway it's not our job to update them

Looks like a problem from the top.

This. And the fact is, drivers should not take out frustrations on the public. I'm polite, I know how public facing roles can be as I also have a similar role.

Yes and some of them have a lot to put with when they have passengers like the two numpties - mother and son - who paraded their life very loudly from one end of the back seat to the other in between him setting the alarm on his phone off periodically. in the end I stood up, told them to shut up as we didn't want to hear their business, then when I got off I thanked the driver and said I couldn't do his job. He was a supposed adult too. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest busdriver1
Why are so many people hell bent on insulting bus drivers. One of the posts on this thread which doesn't even warrant a "quote" seems to imply that bus drivers should be doing something useful like curing cancer. I find silly comments like this insulting to anybody with a disability. I have narcolepsy and therefore have to rely on the buses as I am not allowed to drive so for me and thousands of other people they are more than useful wether disabled or not! The bus drivers of Sheffield provide us all with a fantastic service and yes they get things wrong from time to time but don't we all? We are all human after all! :thumbsup:

Its called the Sheffield disease. Blame others for not wiping your backside, thinking for you, or just plain and simple not bowing and scraping to you.

I have never met so many disgusting people as there are in Sheffield. There are some really nice people as well but those poor souls get shouted down by the others. Information on the disabled "add on " pass was very slow in getting to bus companies. I know it was passed on VERY QUICKLY by First but not as fast as it was given to pass holders. I know that will not cut with those with an attitude but one or two sensible folks might read and understand it. The rest will be rehearsing their insults and attitude in readiness for their next bus journey.