Sheff marathon results

Any idea if they took any photos with it being 'cancelled'?

Their website is running slow as hell.

I managed to grab the pdf and re-upload for everyone so you don't have to wait for their site to work.

Hope you did well.

Download Link:

http://www.files.co.uk/set/5342a5eb176d1

I have the results as an excel file if anyone wants to find out their finishing position.

I was just outside the top 20%, dammit!

I'd love to get an excel version. Can you mail it if I send a PM, or upload it somewhere?

---------- Post added 07-04-2014 at 20:20 ----------

I have the results as an excel file if anyone wants to find out their finishing position.

I was just outside the top 20%, dammit!

Managed to create a excel version from the results here: http://www.findauniversity.com/sheffieldmarathon/

I've uploaded them to dropbox, if anyone wants to grab them here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3858786/Sheffield%20Half%202014.xlsx

I came 975th! so in the top 1000 / top 25%.

You must have been in front of me by around 2 minutes. Did you see Roman Gladiator man? I overtook him around 11 or 12 miles, then fizzled a bit in the last 3/4 mile and he came past me. Drat!! :)

Edited by Waldo

Managed to create a excel version from the results here: http://www.findauniversity.com/sheffieldmarathon/

I've uploaded them to dropbox, if anyone wants to grab them here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3858786/Sheffield%20Half%202014.xlsx

I came 975th! so in the top 1000 / top 25%.

You must have been in front of me by around 2 minutes. Did you see Roman Gladiator man? I overtook him around 11 or 12 miles, then fizzled a bit in the last 3/4 mile and he came past me. Drat!! :)

Glad you managed to find it and distribute it.

'Roman gladiator man' is a colleague of mine and we have been running rivals since I overtook him in the Sheff 10k last September. He is off to pastures new next week, so this was his last chance for revenge. He set off ahead of me but I caught up with him at Ponds Forge, stayed level for a while, then eased ahead in a long-anticipated strategy. I couldn't quite get away from him and I could hear all the cheers for him from the spectators on the route just behind me. Entering the DVB, the announcer commented that his was 'the second best costume that morning so far', which I thought would break his spirit. But no! With a roar, he began a sprint for the line with 200m left, and forced me to dig deep to keep up. Just short of the line, I slowed down, half from exhaustion and half out of respect for someone who had covered 13.1 miles in just a cape and short skirt (plus shield, sword and papier mache golden helmet). He crossed the line a couple of metres ahead of me, and I had a long nervous wait until the chip times came out. Turns out I beat him by 5 seconds...but as he crossed the line first and entertained numerous children (and not a few ladies as well, I suspect) en route, the moral victory was his.

Hahaha, sounds like gripping stuff Pete! isn't it chip-time that counts though?! (hmm, unless you only won on gun-time of course). Yeah, he was definitely a one-to-beat for me, I just failed to maintain my pace, and he passed me on the new bit of the course (on Bold Street I think).

It's pain; when you want to go faster for the last bit; but your legs have a different plan to your brain!

A few chip times were spectacularly off. I know of at least one runner whose chip had him over ten minutes quicker than he actually finished.

A few chip times were spectacularly off. I know of at least one runner whose chip had him over ten minutes quicker than he actually finished.

Think mine was about right, 3 minutes or so faster than last year. Would have been better but for a broken toe at the end of January, and the bad timing of this race with the Ponds Forge 10km swim only two weeks earlier...excuses, excuses!

Mine was only 1 second different from my watch time. My friends times were also pretty spot on.

I thought the top 5 looked a bit fishy though.

1	9	Toby	 Spencer	 01:10:56
2	4094	Gareth	 Sampson	 01:12:08
3	7	Alex	 Plant		 01:19:29
4	12	James	 Douglas	 01:19:31
5	4640	Andy	 Buddery	 01:19:39

Very big (time) gap between 2nd and 3rd. Wonder if it was anything to do with the coppers trying to heard the lead runners?

Mine was only 1 second different from my watch time. My friends times were also pretty spot on.

I thought the top 5 looked a bit fishy though.

1	9	Toby	 Spencer	 01:10:56
2	4094	Gareth	 Sampson	 01:12:08
3	7	Alex	 Plant		 01:19:29
4	12	James	 Douglas	 01:19:31
5	4640	Andy	 Buddery	 01:19:39

Very big (time) gap between 2nd and 3rd. Wonder if it was anything to do with the coppers trying to heard the lead runners?

As one of the lead runners, I can pretty much confirm that yeah. A lot of the elites didn't start and some dropped out at the police blockades, though a lot of us just kept running. We were actually expecting it to just be a training run for us, we were going to run the course but the atmosphere was relaxed and cheerful rather than serious. We had no idea the masses had followed us until getting to Eccy Rd, before then I genuinely expected to see the roads get reopened and no crowds out.

The other issue was that we had removed our numbers at the front to avoid any argument that we were there 'officially'. Most of us kept hold of our numbers but a few discarded them. I was getting my position shouted at me from some of the crowd and I think there were probably three runners between official second and third. That's me they've given 5th to there, and unless runners dropped out along Brightside Lane I should have been 8th.

edit: just reread that and realised it could sound like I'm describing myself as an 'elite' - I'm definitely not!

Edited by Gypsy Hack

As one of the lead runners, I can pretty much confirm that yeah. A lot of the elites didn't start and some dropped out at the police blockades, though a lot of us just kept running. We were actually expecting it to just be a training run for us, we were going to run the course but the atmosphere was relaxed and cheerful rather than serious. We had no idea the masses had followed us until getting to Eccy Rd, before then I genuinely expected to see the roads get reopened and no crowds out.

The other issue was that we had removed our numbers at the front to avoid any argument that we were there 'officially'. Most of us kept hold of our numbers but a few discarded them. I was getting my position shouted at me from some of the crowd and I think there were probably three runners between official second and third. That's me they've given 5th to there, and unless runners dropped out along Brightside Lane I should have been 8th.

edit: just reread that and realised it could sound like I'm describing myself as an 'elite' - I'm definitely not!

Well done great time.