[Ask an Expert] - iPod query!

Go on then Rob, how do I get one from the Apple Education Store?

DB

Take up Cycleracers offer ;)

http://www.apple.com/uk/education

Click "Education Store" then cycleracer would have to "search for his institution" order it, then give it you when he gets it to his institution ;)

Well glad that's cleared up - might have to get one now :D

Originally posted by fnkysknky

Well glad that's cleared up - might have to get one now :D

Technically, its a half truth

the real story is thus:

The ipod uses Sony Flat Li-On batteries, which cost around £70 to buy, they have a life cycle of 500 charge cycles (this is where the 18month thing comes from) so if you used it every day from full to flat and charged it every day it'd go within 500 days (like any Li-Ion battery would)

Now Apple do a service where they collect the 'pod, whack in a new battery and send it back for around £80, which isnt too bad at all TBH

Couldn't you or me buy the batteries and fit them ourselves?

Are Apple gonna wanna check proof of purchase when performing this service, in order to check the pod isn't 'warm' shall we say?

---------------

EDITED SECTION BELOW

---------------

Suppose I better add this section in.

The reason I asked about the proof of purchase is because I may purchase one from Ebay and as you may be aware it's difficult to get proof of purchase from there. Just in case anyone thinks I'm into knocked off gear... I'm not!

Yes, and probably

4 plectrums is all it takes to open up an iPod and replace the battery

How do they connect to your PC

Firewire Only or can you get USB?

How much play do you get from a full charge on average - I want real figures not marketing hype :)

You could try the Apple refurb store:

http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/refurb/uk/

It's stuff people have sent back, but by all accounts, 99% of the time it is like new, comes with official Apple UK warranties, etc. Ipods usually go for 30 - 60% off retail.

Its only open at 10:00 on Wednesday - and you have to buy quick, since its a bit of a scrum to get them!

Originally posted by fnkysknky

How much play do you get from a full charge on average - I want real figures not marketing hype :)

If i dont use the light (which I hardly use anyway) about 6 hours, but what people forget is that when the battery meter reads nothing you still have about an hour if you dont fiddle with it :lol:

Hmmm, I'd probaby be looking at least 3 hours a day play at least 6 days a week so could probably expect a battery to last over a couple of years - not too bad then :)

Might check the Apple refurb store out :D