Mattocks Butchers, Ellesmere road

Hi,

anyone know what happened to this Butchers ? Are they still going somewhere else ? Anyone know any of the family ?

Dean.

Hi,

anyone know what happened to this Butchers ? Are they still going somewhere else ? Anyone know any of the family ?

Dean.

ABOUT 1938 Just before l left school Frank Mattock took a shine to me asking what l was to do when left school, a joiner l said , any tools no says l ,he told me to come back the next day ,he had bought me a saw, plane ,screwdriver, and a sheet of plywood. He set me fitting new bottoms to 4 suet boxes he paid me and said to keep the tools, l used to do odd jobs, when l had nothing to do he let me go on the egg run with the van driver round all the farms. HE was a very nice man. l never heard of him having any family but a brother ran the shop bottom of Bramber st. Cheers Arthur

As a child I knew Frank Mattock, he was a friend of my grandmother, she lost her husband in WW1, and was a frequent visitor to her house on Earsham Street. I was told that Frank was a very kind man and that he would offer support and work to her sons. There was a shop on Kings Street called Central Dairy Products that was run by some of the Mattock family but I am not sure which part of the family that was. Interestingly I was also told that the "Mattocks" lived in Whitley Hall Ecclesfield at one time. Dean, you may have seen this link but it is interesting. http://www.militaryantiques.co.uk/showpagec.ihtml?cat=361&jump=3

Franks name could have been Francis Sidney.

Edited by Blackbeard
I got the name wrong

ABOUT 1938 Just before l left school Frank Mattock took a shine to me asking what l was to do when left school, a joiner l said , any tools no says l ,he told me to come back the next day ,he had bought me a saw, plane ,screwdriver, and a sheet of plywood. He set me fitting new bottoms to 4 suet boxes he paid me and said to keep the tools, l used to do odd jobs, when l had nothing to do he let me go on the egg run with the van driver round all the farms. HE was a very nice man. l never heard of him having any family but a brother ran the shop bottom of Bramber st. Cheers Arthur

That's a nice old tail Arthur.

I think that there was a Mattocks on London rd in the 1960s,or was that Denniffs. The best black pudding I ever had was from a butcher down by or near the old castle market , John Wenningers, any one remember it ?

Mattock were our local butchers when I was a kid they had a store room on Ditchingham st were I lived and we used the gates for goals.