Music Photography - Do you do it? If not, who's your fave?

I personally SUCK at music photography. I just don't have the right gear/patience/ability for it. Although I can't do it myself I really love gigs and live music and totally appreciate those who can do great bands justice.

A great photographer in Sheffield at the moment is Duncan Stafford http://www.duncanstaffordphotography.com/ he's shot some amazing bands :love: check out his stuff!

Who's your fave music photographer? Or are you a music photographer yourself?

Katie

One of the greatest skills needed for all types of photography is patience. :P

I used to think photographing people wasn't my thing, yet that's what most of my work tends to involve now. Sometimes they are musically inclined folk. :)

Oh and Anton Corbjin is one of my favourite photographers, though he tends to direct films these days.

Also finding a good collection of his work online seems a bit tricky as his websites are a bit rubbish. Saw his work in an exhibition, which is the best way to appreciate such things.

Edited by jezzyjj

I really like Todd Owyoung's photography. I have done some in the past my self, i don't particularly have the best kit (all of my len's are manual, from film cameras, so you can imagine it becomes quite difficult if they're quite an energetic band, however, i did get some pretty successful shots of Madness) but i still get on ok. Havent done any gigs in aagges though. Kinda miss it.

I used to photograph a lot of concerts on manual focus/film cameras. Never noticed it being an issue.

But using manual lenses on a modern autofocus camera with the crap 'focusing' screens they have is indeed tricky, particularly if they are faster than f2.8 as you then cannot accurately manual focus.

Yeah i use them on my digital, really hard to get sharp sometimes. It's probably not so bad shooting on film but i've never been brave enough to shoot a gig on film yet though. Always been tempted.

I do a fair bit of music photography and currently on tour with Foreigner, Europe and FM. It's hard work but good fun. You get to meet all types of people!

My favorite has to be Anton Corbjin. He has is own original style. Creative rather than commercially acceptable.

I do gigs and nightclub photography myself as well, check out Lanty Zhang Studio on Facebook if you want :)

my fav is me