Healthy 'fast food' outlets, are there any?

Looking back on this thread from 4 years ago, I can now feel a shift going the vegetarian way

Just going round supermarkets recently the once little corner of the shelf with the vegetarian stuff tucked away has now become big news

The quorn range is now quite large and to be honest though expensive is quite delicious

And the supermarkets are doing their own ranges so it’s certainly catching on

There is still some way to go but I can feel this way of eating is going to get huge in the next 10 years.....hopefully

Vegan restaurants are also becoming more popular

Looking forward to it to be honest :)

Try falafel, good place on Glossop road.

yes. Middle East food is the healthiest. I'm sure of that. Although it is not my absolute favourite cuisine.

of all the classic fast food dishes popular in the UK, the least bad is actually the kebab, despite its bad association. There is a better nutritional balance there than in the others and is the only one where you get a lot of salad as well as bread and meat.

Looking back on this thread from 4 years ago, I can now feel a shift going the vegetarian way

Just going round supermarkets recently the once little corner of the shelf with the vegetarian stuff tucked away has now become big news

The quorn range is now quite large and to be honest though expensive is quite delicious

And the supermarkets are doing their own ranges so it’s certainly catching on

There is still some way to go but I can feel this way of eating is going to get huge in the next 10 years.....hopefully

Vegan restaurants are also becoming more popular

Looking forward to it to be honest :)

It is very sad to see consumers abdicating their 'responsibility' to the big chains. Do they really have your and the environments interest at heart?

Day after day the media is plugging diets and products sold in the big chains.

The big chains who nearly all refuse to colour code their products.

The big chains who sell you more quantity than you need.

The big chains that persuade you to buy more things than you need.

The huge profits made from selling over advertised, over packaged, environmentally unfriendly and socially damaging foods is a big hit with the big chains.

Take control of what you eat.

Plan your meals.

Decide before you go.

I've always thought there was a huge gap in the market for a healthy fast food outlet or a fast food vegetarian place.

That's not an oxymoron, fast food can be healthy.

I've always thought there was a huge gap in the market for a healthy fast food outlet or a fast food vegetarian place.

Chips with scraps and a couple of scallops is vegetarian ;)

Mmmm that's true. Not too healthy though, so you don't get any Brownie points. :)

Mmmm that's true. Not too healthy though, so you don't get any Brownie points. :)

Oh well, I had fish, chips and mushy peas for lunch before you told me..... :)

the very worst fast food out of all of them is pizza. It's just a cheese and tomato sandwich with bits of things on top. It's a snack. Not a proper meal at all.

years ago a pal was in the northern general, badly broken leg, he asked me to bring in some fish and chips I asked the sister in charge if it would be ok she said "of course is a well balance meal, better than what we serve here" I have never seen fish, chips and peas eaten and enjoyed better he made a full recovery.

---------- Post added 12-10-2018 at 19:23 ----------

most shops that make up sandwiches will make one to your requirements and in Sheffield there are plenty open, but not in the evening of course.

Edited by choogling

Not healthy, but not as unhealthy as many things. Gillian wassername - Scottish woman, pretended to be a doctor, poked about strangers faecal matter - did a test and chip shop chips were much lower in calories than some oven chips.

All this talk about healthy vs unhealthy food is making me hungry I'm going to make a dripping sarnie with plenty of salt and a nice cup of tea with sugar, then off to the pub .

Haha – not really (but I guess from the wink you know that).

It does depend on what oil or fat they are fried in, of course. And aren't scraps the bits of batter left over from frying fish and are thus infused with fish oil and bits of cod or whatever marine life has been in the deep fryer?

I take it as read you are referring to potato scallops, not bivalves.

Vegetarian/vegan doesn't necessarily equate to healthy though. I once dated a vegan who lived on jacket potatoes, baked beans and plain chocolate. No greens. No variety.