Should Pensioners be eligible for Bus Passes.

What's wrong with a car owning pensioner using his car to go where buses don't go and helping cut pollution by using the bus to visit town or Meadowhall or such places.

Also one doesn't have to be rich to have a car.

I could not agree with you more.

I'm almost on top of a bus stop and I can easily get a bus into town and not have the hassle of finding a parking space. I can walk from the cathedral to the moor and jump on a bus back home.

By getting the bus I can also avoid some of the car drivers whom I'm sure have never taken a driving test.

Sometimes I bus to Meadowhall (every 30 mins apart from Sunday - 1 hour) and occasionally drive if I have the better 1/2.

Each and every pensioner should get the equivalent of 40 hours at minimum wage.

That is what the government specifies as minimum, and that would then alleviate the problem.

The current minimum wage for someone aged 21 or over is £6.31

assuming you mean the state pension should 40 hours per week at the minimum wage:

6.31 * 40 = £250 per week

or £13000 per year

The current state pension is £110 per week or £5720 per year, that means your proposal will more than double the current cost of the state pension to the exchequer.

Please can we stop the bickering? Thanks

I would stop them claiming child benefit.

After working 45 years mostly full time paying tax and now being told my pension age has risen having claimed no benefits through not working I will be first at the door to get my pass (yes I do have my own car) and use it as often as I can

Edited by Poppi
Spelling

The current minimum wage for someone aged 21 or over is £6.31

assuming you mean the state pension should 40 hours per week at the minimum wage:

6.31 * 40 = £250 per week

or £13000 per year

The current state pension is £110 per week or £5720 per year, that means your proposal will more than double the current cost of the state pension to the exchequer.

I realise how much it is, but it,s the government who describe it as minimum.

After working 45 years mostly full time paying tax and now being told my pension age has risen having claimed no benefits through not working I will be first at the door to get my pass (yes I do have my own car) and use it as often as I can

After working 20 years on and off (a lot more on than off) and paying my way to studying my socks off to ensure I get up in the world, I have been told I will have to work not just another 30 years (I am 35) but will have to expect to work at least another 35 and very likely 40 years, you can imagine I am a bit annoyed that you feel entitled to doing so 'because you paid your taxes'.

After working 20 years on and off (a lot more on than off) and paying my way to studying my socks off to ensure I get up in the world, I have been told I will have to work not just another 30 years (I am 35) but will have to expect to work at least another 35 and very likely 40 years, you can imagine I am a bit annoyed that you feel entitled to doing so 'because you paid your taxes'.

I worked for 49 years and paid my taxes.

Will you have worked that long when you get to SPA?

Yes. Unequivocally yes. I started work at 15 (12 if you count the paper round). So even at 65 I would have made it to 50. Add to that the fact that it is increasingly more difficult to have a 'job for life' so you have security to build up a pension and it is a simple deductive fact that my pension will look very different than yours.

I don't begrudge you your pension though, what I object to is the entitlement that comes with getting to that pension.

Yes. Unequivocally yes. I started work at 15 (12 if you count the paper round). So even at 65 I would have made it to 50. Add to that the fact that it is increasingly more difficult to have a 'job for life' so you have security to build up a pension and it is a simple deductive fact that my pension will look very different than yours.

I don't begrudge you your pension though, what I object to is the entitlement that comes with getting to that pension.

But if it the entitlement was offered to you wouldn't you take it, considering how many people who haven't paid tax get more entitlement than me, that I'm still paying tax towards?

But if it the entitlement was offered to you wouldn't you take it, considering how many people who haven't paid tax get more entitlement than me, that I'm still paying tax towards?

Who loves ya, baby?

People well may work more than the 50 years which we worked but probably not work 7 days a week and 70 to 80 hours a week which was common in the 60s and 70s doing manual work