Clegg..We should take in Syrian refugees.

We are 2nd class citizens in our own country....it stinks!

If we stop helping people in need, we probably deserve to feel like that.

I would have thought that for Sheffield to be City of Sanctuary, it would have secured extra funding to pay for resources.

I've just Googled the name and found references to a number of other towns and cities that have that status.

I believe that funds over and above the norm were allowed from central government to take in and care for extra immigrants.

Fir Vale has been in the news of late after an influx of East Europeans settled there but I live overlooking the Gleadless Valley and it seems that quite a few Somalian families have been housed on there.

Whether or not the funding is ongoing I don't know, but I do know that there has been some unrest and heated discussion on the matter in Sheffield of late so perhaps the council are being a little cagey before local elections become due.

There is a stronger case for taking Syrian refugees than there was for resettling the Roma here.

That said, the council is right to refuse. They should also withdraw council taxpayers money from City of Sanctuary, Migration Yorkshire, Northern Refugee Council etc etc.

There is a stronger case for taking Syrian refugees than there was for resettling the Roma here.

That said, the council is right to refuse. They should also withdraw council taxpayers money from City of Sanctuary, Migration Yorkshire, Northern Refugee Council etc etc.

Top post. The city of sanctury thing is, IMHO, bunkem, there are a lot of immigrants in Sheffield and as a country it's something that needs to be looked at. But if it wasn't clegg who asked, but milliband instead, they'd have took 50. The refusal is politically motivated and it's shameful. The case for taking Syrian refugees is probably stronger than any other country - just look at the pictures. And we, in the eyes of SCC can't manage 10. What to know why Sheffield isn't taken seriously by the rest of the country? Exhibit A right here.

Nigel Farage was the first to suggest this, ages ago.

Nigel Farage was the first to suggest this, ages ago.

Yes, and credit to him for doing so. Does this mean you agree with Clegg by proxy?

When this little island of ours sinks into the sea under the weight of the people on it!!! we too will be looking for refuge and lets hope our fellow countries take pity on us.

No we shouldn't take any Syrian refugees, there's more countries between England and Syria that could take them in. Why is it always us who open the doors?

It isn't.

If you took the time to understand the salient points, you'd appreciate we're actually discussing taking 50 Syrian refugees (read the OP).

Compare that to the millions who've been provided sanctuary by countries neighbouring Syria and collectively we should hang our heads in red faced shame.

When this little island of ours sinks into the sea under the weight of the people on it!!!
When that becomes anything like even a vague possibility rather than easily spouted rhetoric, I'll agree with your second statement.

we too will be looking for refuge and lets hope our fellow countries take pity on us.

Wow, so many uneducated answers. I don't even know where to begin with refuting all your nonsense. Syrian refugees are being taken in by lots of countries around the world. The UK is actually taking a lower number than countries like Germany, not by a 2:1 factor either. Germany agreed to take in 10000, the UK 500. That is right, 20:1. And Sheffield takes none, pitiful and shameful. If each citizen in Sheffield contributes 1 pound we could take all 500 in one go. But no, "we are bum-hurt over the cuts, so we can't do it".

You lot are just parroting each others pub-hysteria, picked up through the tabloids without having any real idea about the scale of things. Get a grip.

A tabloid has mentioned that the Council will accept, if the Government agrees to the Council's request for help in funding.

When that becomes anything like even a vague possibility rather than easily spouted rhetoric, I'll agree with your second statement.

You may not see it in your life time but it will happen, the sea levels are already rising rapidly and already claiming land - bit by bit it is already happening.....

Esily spouted rhetoric!! dont have children

Can we do a swap for Nick Clegg ?

We take on 50 Syrians and send him over to them ?