Clegg..We should take in Syrian refugees.

Plenty of other country's to take refuge in, Seems the majority of them only want to come to one of the smallest ones.

to seek Refuge means to seek a place of safety, There are many more country's on the way here that are safe to seek refuge but as usual it seems we are the number one destination.

read above, the UK isn't number one. It is also not 'one of the smallest ones' how ignorant can you be. Jordan, with a population of under 6 million before the war started has 3 million Syrians within its borders. The UK has a population of around 60 million and is taking 500.

1:2 Syrian refugee/indigenous people versus 1:120000 Syrian refugees/indigenous people. See the difference?

read above, the UK isn't number one. It is also not 'one of the smallest ones' how ignorant can you be. Jordan, with a population of under 6 million before the war started has 3 million Syrians within its borders. The UK has a population of around 60 million and is taking 500.

1:2 Syrian refugee/indigenous people versus 1:120000 Syrian refugees/indigenous people. See the difference?

But it's not just Syrians is it, and by the way, we already have Syrian refugees in this country.....along with Pakistan (3,524), Iran (2,758), Sri Lanka (1,843), Syria (1,358), Bangladesh (1,165), India (1,141), Albania (1,098), Afghanistan (1,063), Nigeria (1,012) and Eritrea (831). Not to mention the economic migrants from the ever expanding EU.

So, I think we do our share.

Edited by mumkin

But it's not just Syrians is it.

And your point is? I know the country is secular now but my word are people far removed from being generous and doing good on others these days, seems like god was useful after all.

And your point is? I know the country is secular now but my word are people far removed from being generous and doing good on others these days, seems like god was useful after all.

Sorry, edited my post as you posted yours....

But it's not just Syrians is it, and by the way, we already have Syrian refugees in this country.....along with Pakistan (3,524), Iran (2,75, Sri Lanka (1,843), Syria (1,35, Bangladesh (1,165), India (1,141), Albania (1,09, Afghanistan (1,063), Nigeria (1,012) and Eritrea (831). Not to mention the economic migrants from the ever expanding EU.

So, I think we do our share.

The answer to the Worlds problems isn't to bring them all over to the West, it's to help them sort out their own issues and make their own countries places worth living and staying.

There's obviously religious/political reasons why their own countries have become so violent/dangerous, my concern is that we'll be importing people with those religious/political issues into this country.

This is a genuine question because I really don't know the answer, but do China take in substantial numbers of refugees from countries like Syria, Somalia etc?

Regards

Doom

No we shouldn't take any Syrian refugees, there's more countries between England and Syria that could take them in. Why is it always us who open the doors?

The answer to the Worlds problems isn't to bring them all over to the West, it's to help them sort out their own issues and make their own countries places worth living and staying.

There's obviously religious/political reasons why their own countries have become so violent/dangerous, my concern is that we'll be importing people with those religious/political issues into this country.

This is a genuine question because I really don't know the answer, but do China take in substantial numbers of refugees from countries like Syria, Somalia etc?

Regards

Doom

China takes refugees from SE Asia, North Korea, Myanmar and the like, although they could and should do more, just like the rest of the world should.

Edit: Just expanding on this because people really don't seem to understand how this thing works. The UN has asked nations to consider taking in a fair share of refugees, like I said earlier there are 3 MILLION extra people living in Jordan, some still considered refugees, some now considered Jordans. There is no way a country that small can cope with the pressure. As a token-gesture the UK permitted 500 refugees to come to the UK, NOT SHEFFIELD, that really is a drop in the ocean, most of you will live on a road with more people than that. The number that might come to Sheffield would be tiny.

The way people over-react to immigrants is beginning to affect how we treat people who are truly in need - it disgusts me, get your heads out of the sand and start talking to some of these people, stop being so irrationally afraid.

Edited by tzijlstra

China takes refugees from SE Asia, North Korea, Myanmar and the like, although they could and should do more, just like the rest of the world should

They took in over 300,000 from 2009 to 2013, we took in over 194,000 over the same period

They took in over 300,000 from 2009 to 2013, we took in over 194,000 over the same period

And how many of those ended in refusal to remain?

And how many of those ended in refusal to remain?

Two and a half........don't know, do you?

Plenty of other country's to take refuge in, Seems the majority of them only want to come to one of the smallest ones.

to seek Refuge means to seek a place of safety, There are many more country's on the way here that are safe to seek refuge but as usual it seems we are the number one destination.

Of course we are the country of choice, after all we have the biggest handouts.

---------- Post added 02-04-2014 at 08:48 ----------

Sheffield can't accommodate 10 refugees? That's a pretty poor effort.

We should put them in cleggy boys houses, after all he wants em, he can pay for em

Two and a half........don't know, do you?

I'm not wasting too much time on digging up the precise figures, but over 70% of cases gets turned down.

---------- Post added 02-04-2014 at 08:50 ----------

Of course we are the country of choice, after all we have the biggest handouts.

---------- Post added 02-04-2014 at 08:48 ----------

We should put them in cleggy boys houses, after all he wants em, he can pay for em

How big are those handouts then clever clogs? And can you compare the handouts with the other countries you refer to?