Are SY Police dogs value for money?

I don't like the use of police dogs, although they are much rarer here than in the Netherlands. A mate of mine got bitten in his own backyard by a police dog that had been set loose because there was a reported burglar in the area. The dog ignored his trainer and went straight for my mates arm who had to have 44 stitches in his arm.

The police didn't even apologise (that would be an admission of guilt).

A mate of mine was attacked by one just as he exited a phone box after phoning for a taxi home after his night shift, he had some nasty injuries, he said the dog had to be punched and kicked and dragged off him by the two officers.

I think those 12 must have been hiding something, they can smell guilt, I'd be safe.

If it is only 12 (find that hard to believe) than my mate is one of them, quite a similar chance to winning the euro-millions, I know which I'd rather have.

I suspect it is only 12 in some report because the IPCC muffle these cases away. My mate's got 'disappeared' for well over 6 months, only repeated letters from his solicitor made them find it. In the end they claimed it was an accident and my mate was left with a solicitor bill of several hundreds of pounds and three weeks unpaid leave due to numerous hospital and court visits.

@Leather Man - true - no matter how well trained a dog is, no matter how sweet, they are still animals and especially those trained to have aggression in them will never lose that instinct.

PS I love dogs and had them in the house since I was 0.

---------- Post added 31-03-2014 at 23:27 ----------

A mate of mine was attacked by one just as he exited a phone box after phoning for a taxi home after his night shift, he had some nasty injuries, he said the dog had to be punched and kicked and dragged off him by the two officers.

Yeah same with my pal, the dog wouldn't let go on command, in the end the officer put his gummi-stick around the dogs throat to pull him loose.

Statistically unlikely, they only bit 12 innocents in 3 years.

Don't forget there are many innocent people who are considered guilty criminals by a police force that lacks training, intelligence.

Just proves their dogs are smarter than the Sheffield police force.

Edited by dutch

I think they are worth it for their expertise in sniffing out drugs.

I think they are worth it for their expertise in sniffing out drugs.

That is not what the dogs are used for in these cases.

Drugs sniffing expertise is mainly for customs dogs. The expertise of police dogs is finding, tracking suspects on the run, their drugs knowledge is secondary.

These numbers have been obviously manipulated by some corrupt inside police officers. It is as obvious a lie as the salesman saying, yes only 5 years old with no more than 10k miles on it.

Its all about the fear of the dog biting that makes people behave. Kind of reminds me of the threat of being slippered at school!!! That made me behave!!

They are talking about suspects and innocent members of public in article.

Police is not very good at recognising suspects from innocence, they are worse than inspector clouseau at investigating these matters and will call many innocent people a possible suspect. When their innocence will be proven they don't change the statistics and keep that incident as a possible suspect being bitten.

Surely the dogs should get to sue for exposure to pathogens.

i hope the dogs are vaccinated, i dread to think what they might catch from the crims :hihi:

All police dogs should wear gum shields.

---------- Post added 01-04-2014 at 12:11 ----------

Police is not very good at recognising suspects from innocence, they are worse than inspector clouseau at investigating these matters and will call many innocent people a possible suspect. When their innocence will be proven they don't change the statistics and keep that incident as a possible suspect being bitten.

Once the officer lets the dog off they have zero control over it, I have seen it first hand on more than one occasion.

One time I saw the suspect running around the police officer trying not to get bit and the dog got fed up and attacked the officer instead. Funniest attempted arrest I have ever witnessed. :hihi:

Where did you get the info for that marvellous piece of narrative?

Where did you get the info for that marvellous piece of narrative?

Sheffield police is under investigation by (edit) IPCC for police dog biting Dawn Priestley while she was putting out the laundry.

That is why they are lying in the newspapers.

I have no objections against police dog accidents. I do not object their use and risks attached to that use.

The dogs owners, Sheffield police force makes up manipulated home made false statistics to save their image, they are under investigation for improper dog use at the moment.

Edited by dutch

Sheffield police is under investigation by PCCI for police dog biting Dawn Priestley while she was putting out the laundry.

That is why they are lying in the newspapers.

I have no objections against police dog accidents. I do not object their use and risks attached to that use.

The dogs owners, Sheffield police force makes up manipulated home made false statistics to save their image, they are under investigation for improper dog use at the moment.

PCCI????

Says it all :hihi: