Mansfield Road bus lane

I would like to congratulate the Laurel & Hardy planners who thought up the changes to Mansfield Road bus lane, you have made a reasonable junction at Woodhouse Road into a nightmare or (another fine mess). Due to the new areas of green paint, we now have to wait behind vehicles turning right down Woodhouse Road if we want to stay legal, as you have now extended the bus lane well before the traffic lights. How long will it be before they put enforcement cameras in to catch us out with the change in the timing of the bus lane. It also makes it almost impossible to come up Mansfield Road and turn left into Mansfield View without going into the bus lane. How long will it be before they ban traffic turning right forcing you to go around the Manor Top junction to travel back down and turn left. There was even a diversion sign up near the fire station showing such a move, so they could use that. Also looking around Sheffield it would appear they have managed to get a good deal on the bulk purchase of yellow paint for the bus stops, looking at the length of the new stops they've painted we must be getting some longer buses soon. If you are doing all this to make drivers abandon their cars then you need to do 2 more things, 1, get buses to go where we need them to go, and be as convenient as jumping into the car. 2, get them to run on time and bring the fares down as last time I caught one I thought I was buying shares in it. Just one final thing if you provide bus lanes aren't buses supposed to use them, tonight there were 5 cars and 3 buses in the non bus lane.

Oooh you'll have to do better than that. You'll have to complain for months, no years, get the press behind you and hundreds of other residents, and they'll still tell you it's the best idea since sliced bread until they finally can bury their heads in the sand no longer. See the Meadowhead thread for details.:hihi:

I would like to congratulate the Laurel & Hardy planners who thought up the changes to Mansfield Road bus lane, you have made a reasonable junction at Woodhouse Road into a nightmare or (another fine mess). Due to the new areas of green paint, we now have to wait behind vehicles turning right down Woodhouse Road if we want to stay legal, as you have now extended the bus lane well before the traffic lights.

The left lane at that junction has always been a bus lane, that bit hasn't changed. Look on Google maps, it shows the old layout.

Edited by steroc

Yes I agree that the bus lane was present in the left lane, but there used to be a gap in it, bigger and better placed than it is now. Also regards the Meadowhead situation I again agree, but just what is the problem with the road scheme planners, I remember when super tram was being built there was a seminar regarding it's routing etc and one planner/designer admitted that on City Rd the tracks swerved in and out instead of being straight to create difficulties for car drivers in the hope they would use the tram. Can the planners not remember the 70's slogan for Sheffield " A City on the Move" not a city at a standstill, which it's rapidly becoming due to the half baked planning.

Must be an improvement on before surely? Was ludicrous that the bus lane "swapped" over.

If you read the road signs properly, the bus lane only operates during the rush hour. Outside the times stated on the signage, just use the left hand lane.

Having said that, I agree that during rush hour, it will make things difficult.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

If you read the road signs properly, the bus lane only operates during the rush hour. Outside the times stated on the signage, just use the left hand lane.

Having said that, I agree that during rush hour, it will make things difficult.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Whats reading the signs got to do with masses of backed up, slow moving and frustrated drivers who have to crawl up Mansfield road at 2mph because the council have screwed things up again?

Idiot!

The bus lane has always been in place on the left of that junction exactly as it is now. It makes much more sense now it is on one side all the way up. The major change is the extension to the operating times.

Laurel & Hardy were good entertainers for their time and age.

Well, thanks to the council the traffic now moves at a snails pace on mansfield road. I walked all the way up it and beat a silver focus who was stuck in traffic. I walked about 1/4 mile so to say i got there before a car is insane.

If anyone wants to avoid it, its backed up as far down as intake school, opposite the cemetery.

---------- Post added 01-04-2014 at 08:53 ----------

Laurel & Hardy were good entertainers for their time and age.

The Chuckle brothers would have been a better comparison. Laurel and Hardy were ACE!!! :hihi:

The bus lane here has and always will be a farce! When its active you can often see the lane absolutely packed with not 1 taxi or bus present. The traffic only moves at a snails pace because of all the idiots using the lane and not allowing traffic to flow onto it. Another part of the problem is the lights at the top to allow traffic onto east bank road. They are red for ages and usually cause a decent bottleneck outside of rush hour. Im just glad I dont have to travel along there anymore :D

we just need planner1 to justify it like woodseats and this thread is then closed ;-)