Barlow hunt.. Alpaca

On 29/08/2020 at 22:24, Litotes said:

Still doesn't sort out the feral foxes that are now rampant around the city because of a lack of vermin control - we used to have dog patrols which would round up stray dogs - perhaps we could get some to round up stray foxes... (and take them to the fox pound and then put them down in a variety of ways...?

But hold on - that wouldn't be fair would it ?

The little foxy woxes (?sp) have the right to rampage through the gardens of Sheffield, eating what they want, shredding livestock and bin bags on the way don't they? Or do they?

Saffy, perhaps you advocate we should be encouraging vermin foxes to own our streets, eat our guinea pigs / rabbits/ chickens or should we give people the right to shoot foxes in their back gardens as you suggest?????

Wouldn't it be better to control the issue at source?

Isn't prevention better than cure?

Why do people have these bin bags in their gardens in the first place?

Yes, it definitely would be better to control this at the source.

I trust you will be lobbying the council for a return to weekly black bin collections.

Blaming foxes is ludicrous.

There is no place for foxhunting in civilized society.

13 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Why do people have these bin bags in their gardens in the first place?

Yes, it definitely would be better to control this at the source.

I trust you will be lobbying the council for a return to weekly black bin collections.

Blaming foxes is ludicrous.

There is no place for foxhunting in civilized society.

Is there a place for pest control?

You can see where I am going with this...

Edited by Litotes

12 minutes ago, Litotes said:

There's plenty of evidence of hunts building artificial earths (and so encouraging foxes) to undermine any argument that it's for pest control.

33 minutes ago, Litotes said:

The problem seems to be pests of the human kind discarding edible waste in an unsuitable way.Encouraging pigeons,foxes,rats into urban areas.

1 hour ago, altus said:

There's plenty of evidence of hunts building artificial earths (and so encouraging foxes) to undermine any argument that it's for pest control.

And would the honorable member be so kind as to answer the question?

16 hours ago, Litotes said:

And would the honorable member be so kind as to answer the question?

I replied to the second part of your post because I could see where you were going with this.

Trying to control urban fox populations by culling doesn't work:

Should urban foxes be controlled?

No. Most urban fox populations regulate their own numbers, by limiting the number of cubs they produce each year. This they do remarkably successfully, and the cubs that survive to adulthood almost exactly replace the number of adult foxes that die each year. If you try to cull them, the foxes respond by producing more cubs to replace the foxes that have been killed. So you do not achieve anything. Furthermore, foxes in urban areas do not cause a big enough problem that they need to be culled; the vast majority of people in cities are either indifferent to the presence of foxes or welcome them.

There is of course another side to urban foxes and pest control.

On 01/09/2020 at 19:40, Litotes said:

No, I honestly can't.

Living near Page Hall with its associated litter problems, I'm pleased the foxes are keeping the rat population in check.

And I can't imagine any foxhunters would ride through Page Hall on horseback 😄

6 hours ago, The Joker said:

No, I honestly can't.

Living near Page Hall with its associated litter problems, I'm pleased the foxes are keeping the rat population in check.

And I can't imagine any foxhunters would ride through Page Hall on horseback 😄

I'd love to see that, given the attention the police horses received.

Yup,  on course .. the Barlow will be exercising their Hounds on Saturday from 2pm (Kennels at Barlow) ... of course we all know that exercising means bringing in the the new hounds to see if they make the grade.  Not sure what they do  if they don’t - would be interested to know) ...

Am sure it’s nothing to do with ‘cubbing’ that goes on at this time of year ... am sure it’s just exercise.   

1 hour ago, Saffy said:

Yup,  on course .. the Barlow will be exercising their Hounds on Saturday from 2pm (Kennels at Barlow) ... of course we all know that exercising means bringing in the the new hounds to see if they make the grade.  Not sure what they do  if they don’t - would be interested to know) ...

Am sure it’s nothing to do with ‘cubbing’ that goes on at this time of year ... am sure it’s just exercise.   

There are many references and articles on line about both the breeding of pups,the selection of those suitable and the dispatching of those which are not.

Plus of course the “retirement” of older dogs which  are past their prime.

Not good reading for animal lovers however you read it.

33 minutes ago, RJRB said:

There are many references and articles on line about both the breeding of pups,the selection of those suitable and the dispatching of those which are not.

Plus of course the “retirement” of older dogs which  are past their prime.

Not good reading for animal lovers however you read it.

Hmmm, yes I agree.  I actually wrote to my MP about ‘Illegal Hunting’ and she had the audacity to say that ‘well, some people would call it tradition’ ... 

Whatever, I shall continue to help fund the @LABH (Twitter) Locals against the Barlow Hunt (on Facebook), and provide them with a cuppa should they need it.