Getting rid of a council house without a charge

Hi,

I have spent thousands of pounds making improvements to my council house and now that its time to let it go for pastures new. I am going to have to remove all the improvements and put it back to the original "state" it was in, otherwise I'm going to get charged by the council for them to make the changes.

It's such a shame because I would happily leave all the carpets (all like brand new), made to measure blinds, fire surround, kitchen cupboards, fitted wardrobes etc so someone can make use of them.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of my council house without having to make all the changes back, or if I can let them have it back "fully furnished?"

There is such a shortage of council houses and yet I can't "afford" to give mine up as I'm going to get charged.

Many thanks: help:

Have you spoken to the council?

I think the problem is that if you leave fixtures and fittings for the next tenant, it means they form part of the tenancy so the council can be held responsible if anything goes wrong or if things need replacing.

Hmm, that would make sense!

I haven't spoken to them again, I daren't!! Last time I moved houses they tried to charge me almost £1,000 because I had had "left" a new kitchen work surface that I had put in.

ShelleyLou

If you can find someone to exchange with you then its a mutual exchange with the items in situ. Moved quite a few exchanges where the tenants left carpets fitted wardrobes etc in. Might be worth a try.:)

Hi,

I have spent thousands of pounds making improvements to my council house and now that its time to let it go for pastures new. I am going to have to remove all the improvements and put it back to the original "state" it was in, otherwise I'm going to get charged by the council for them to make the changes.

It's such a shame because I would happily leave all the carpets (all like brand new), made to measure blinds, fire surround, kitchen cupboards, fitted wardrobes etc so someone can make use of them.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of my council house without having to make all the changes back, or if I can let them have it back "fully furnished?"

There is such a shortage of council houses and yet I can't "afford" to give mine up as I'm going to get charged.

Many thanks: help:

Call tomorrow and ask for a pre quit/pre transfer inspection. An inspector will come out and advise you what you can leave/have to put back.

If (as you say) you have made improvements you could get something back for the work, ask for a 'tenants home improvements' form.

Can't you do an exchange with a neighbour who will benefit from your improvements then give the new house back?

Call tomorrow and ask for a pre quit/pre transfer inspection. An inspector will come out and advise you what you can leave/have to put back.

If (as you say) you have made improvements you could get something back for the work, ask for a 'tenants home improvements' form.

What he said

If you can find someone to exchange with you then its a mutual exchange with the items in situ. Moved quite a few exchanges where the tenants left carpets fitted wardrobes etc in. Might be worth a try.:)

This is a great idea im sure someone would be interested

you can only get your improvements paid back if you got permission in the first place. which you should have done...

Yep....that will do it...nice one Mick!

Swap with someone who wants your property....you accept theirs in return....then simply hand that one back

Everyone wins

Don't people feel it is rather extreme to exchange properties to resolve this issue?

Have a think about the additional costs/inconvenience involved in moving/changing propertys:

1) Removals

2) changing address documents

3) Utilities

4) Mail redirection

And that's just for starters!

You also have to stay in the property you move to for a minimum period of 6 months.