Extortionate gas bill - advice needed!

I would double check the meter reading. The meter reader made a mistake with mine, resulting in a £800 bill (which was a bit of a shock, until I worked out what had happened!)

If you've been taking regular readings, can you work out your average use per day during periods of time? For example it should be very low during the summer since you'd just be heating water for the showers. In the winter you'd expect it to be higher. This might indicate a problem, if the usage was high during the summer.

The meter readings are definitely right. The meter is just going up super quick. Yesterday at 3:15 pm it was at 03936.0475. Today at 7:15 pm it was at 03939.882. So that means we've used 3.8345 Kw/h in 27 hours I think. That's half what N Power say we're using a day from where they estimated we should be at on our meter reading. I wonder if they've just been undercharging us for a very long time - we've lived here for 3 years so if we're £300 in debt it might just mean that we've underpaid by £100 each year which is less than a tenner a month. If that's the case, they're really rubbish. They've had loads of readings from us.

No, unless you have a meter that measures kwh, they are measuring cubic meters of gas (or slight possibility of cu ft x100).

To convert approx. from cu meters to kwh multiply cu meters by 11.16 for approx. kwh reading.

then multiply by tariff cost (say) 4p per kwh and add any daily standing charge.

that will be approx. £2.

Edited by FORE

So we've used 42.79 Kwh then? Is that normal for a very typical 2 up 2 down poorly insulated double glazed Sheffield mid-terrace?!

For reference I live in a typical 2up 2down mid terrace - well insulated but ancient inefficient boiler with a tank, gas hob & gas fire in the lounge which i have been using in the evenings. My yearly gas bill was roughly £450; but i live alone, have an electric shower & dont even bother switching the boiler on all summer.

Google "gas meter conversion to kilowatts" or something similar & it will explain how to work out how much you have used in money.

So we've used 42.79 Kwh then? Is that normal for a very typical 2 up 2 down poorly insulated double glazed Sheffield mid-terrace?!

Yes.

Probably, depending on the occupants.

Maybe we have our answer - they've vastly underestimated our usage putting us miles in debt. We don'y use £111 worth of gas and electric a month, we're just paying off the debt.

I've also just been stood watching the meter obsessively for some time. It definitely doesn't move when nothing's switched on.

Thanks everyone!!!

---------- Post added 31-03-2014 at 17:45 ----------

Oooo, I tell a lie. In thirty minutes it's gone from 3941,485 to 3941,488. Could that just be the pilot light on the boiler?