Princess Tea party tickets!

Well, I suppose you could say I am over thinking it if you view it in simplistic terms (truly hoping I don't sound patronising there!)

The thing is it's not just me who thinks it and it's not just me who feels the stereotyping of young children is harmful.

What I was hoping to do by linking to the dissertation piece before was to draw attention to the myriad of research which has already been done on this topic which demonstrates how and why this kind of role modelling can be damaging to kids. I agree the piece itself is an opinion piece but the opinion has been influenced by many many research articles.

I agree that pretending and fantasy play is important when it is part of a healthy mix of other things. My daughter plays mummies and ballerinas and dinosaurs and pirates and all sorts, I hope I have achieved the balance (Ha, we'll find out in 30 years or so I guess!)

What I feel is perhaps more of the problem is when that balance and mix is not respected and kids don't get that mix. What with the constant gender stereotyping which occurs in toys, advertising, media and everyday life this balance gets harder and harder to achieve.

The women in these stories are all dependant on men or other people for their happiness, either by fulfilling their destinies to marry other men or by defying father figures and putting themselves in dangerous situations to break free. Most of them look a certain way and are very beautiful and alluring. This is the link to the sexualisation of young girls. In a very brief nutshell!

This debate thread was very interesting (incidentally a draw too) https://www.debate.org/debates/Disney-Princesses-Are-Bad-Role-Models-For-Young-Girls/1/ and for me the Pro side made a lot of sense, I expect for you perhaps the Con side might speak more volumes, it might not change your mind but I think it might help explain where I am coming from a bit more

I think it is dangerous to assume that a child will grow up to realise that the messages in early years were not always what they seem, by then it is too late and the messages about subservience and body image are ingrained. It may be that a grown up person thinking with their 'rational' brain knows that princesses are unrealistic BUT having not been taught how to achieve happiness for themselves they are left feeling lacking and empty.

Perhaps think about it from a different perspective, times gone by and children were taught to finish the food on their plate, food was short, meal times strict and the thinking was you didn't waste what you were given. Fast forward to now and that grown up child has a weight problem....they KNOW they should eat less and that they don't actually have to eat everything in front of them but those early messages mean they just can't bring themselves to leave the food. Does that make sense?

I think you are over thinking it. I'm an Education student and have worked in various early years settings and Princess' and Superhero's play a large part in role play areas and are not discouraged. In our reading area at my daughters school princess character's are displayed with relating words to encourage reading further.

World book day took place early this month, my daughters went as Cinderella as we have recently read the book. I would say 90% of the girls went as disney princess' and they all had fun which is what being a child is all about. You mention your daughter dresses up, would you allow her to be a "princess" if not at home how will or how did you approach this with the school/nursery as I'm confident this will more than likely be accounted by your daughter?

I'm not sure I would just buy a ticket for my daughter to take part in the advertised due to the cost etc I would personally spend my money on a more "educational" trip in the holidays but for a birthday party or a well deserved treat (for achievement at school etc) I wouldn't stop her attending

Edited by jenz245

I think you are over thinking it. I'm an Education student and have worked in various early years settings and Princess' and Superhero's play a large part in role play areas and are not discouraged. In our reading area at my daughters school princess character's are displayed with relating words to encourage reading further.

World book day took place early this month, my daughters went as Cinderella as we have recently read the book. I would say 90% of the girls went as disney princess' and they all had fun which is what being a child is all about. You mention your daughter dresses up, would you allow her to be a "princess" if not at home how will or how did you approach this with the school/nursery as I'm confident this will more than likely be accounted by your daughter?

I'm not sure I would just buy a ticket for my daughter to take part in the advertised due to the cost etc I would personally spend my money on a more "educational" trip in the holidays but for a birthday party or a well deserved treat (for achievement at school etc) I wouldn't stop her attending

I think we might agree on more points than you realise Jen! What I am talking about is the greater overall picture of cultural norms and society. You will always be able to point out individual cases which disprove an overall idea in any topic of debate. I don't disagree that children will enjoy playing princess games and superhero games. I would point out that if 90% of the children came dressed as princesses on WORLD book day that perhaps they might not be getting that balanced view. Did any of the girls dress as a female author, a female politician, a female explorer, pilot or other role model? The balancing out you did with associating words and reading with the day probably went some way to providing that balance I talked about. But if you step back for a moment and ask yourself WHY 90% of the children came dressed as princesses I think you'll get some way to understanding where I and many others are coming from.

As for my personal parenting, I don't 'allow' my daughter to play - she chooses, we discuss, she learns. If she wanted to be a princess she would. She has some princess books (not many granted) but she identifies much more greatly with different characters, spiderman and pirates being two of her current favourites. There are choices she might make which I may disapprove of but if they are her choices made by having all the information I will respect that. We also plan to home educate so hopefully this will continue!

Edited by sasha81