22 First Bus Service

The 22 Bus...

It's the only bus I've ever come across that disappears from the timetable screens at Peace Gardens. One will be due in 9 minutes, 9 minutes come and go, it's reading as DUE... but low and behold, it never arrives. The next one is a 13 minute wait and the same thing happens. Where do thse buses go?!

In the morning between 8-10am I can wait for up to 40 minutes for a 22 to trundle along.

Is it just me or is it the most inconsistent, late running, poor serviced route in Sheffield?

NT

It's a thousand times better than it used to be

All the various apps, websites and bus stop screens all use exactly the same data - the ACIS feed from SYPTE's Your Next Bus system.

If it shows the number of minutes until the bus is expected, the bus has a tracker and the system calculates how soon it will arrive at the stop based on an average of previous bus journey times. It also takes into account scheduled waiting time (its minutes until departure rather than minutes until arrival)

If it shows the scheduled time then one of the following applies:

a) the bus does not have a working tracker

b) the bus is not running at all

c) the data shows early or late running outside of the systems reasonable expectation parameters and has been ignored in case of error

You can view the live departure boards via the various apps (First's free app is as good as any and works for all bus operators in Sheffield), by scanning the QR code at the bus stop, or on the internet here: http://tsy.acislive.com/

---------- Post added 29-03-2014 at 18:27 ----------

Interesting Andy - I knew about the Streetlites, but the ADL's are a surprise. Wonder if they'll retire some of the Presidents?:)

I don't know. Some of the older single deckers are going for scrap. Most of this knowledge has come from First's Twitter feed, they held a tweet the manager session recently, or local transport forums.

I don't know. Some of the older single deckers are going for scrap. Most of this knowledge has come from First's Twitter feed, they held a tweet the manager session recently, or local transport forums.

Thanks for that. I watch some of the local transport forums - not as much as I used to - and have a 'keep in touch' relationship with the Sheffield schedulers at Rotherham. Still didn't know about the 'deckers, though.

the bus route is too long from one end of the city to the other hardly ever runs to time to be stood waiting 30min is now common practice for this route then 2/3 come at once

the bus route is too long from one end of the city to the other hardly ever runs to time to be stood waiting 30min is now common practice for this route then 2/3 come at once

Cross-city routing is common to I would guess 95% of the services, so that argument must apply to them all.

Thanks for that. I watch some of the local transport forums - not as much as I used to - and have a 'keep in touch' relationship with the Sheffield schedulers at Rotherham. Still didn't know about the 'deckers, though.

It is looking like only the single deck Streetlites are brand new as apparantly some E400 double deckers have started appearing second hand from London.

It is looking like only the single deck Streetlites are brand new as apparantly some E400 double deckers have started appearing second hand from London.

Just hope they're better than the Presidents - but I doubt it.

I am just intrigued to know then why we must have to pay £2 to travel on this route from city centre out to Nether Edge shops, whereas to travel an equivalent distance on Abbeydale Rd and then just walk up Sheldon Road it only costs £1.50 ?

I am just intrigued to know then why we must have to pay £2 to travel on this route from city centre out to Nether Edge shops, whereas to travel an equivalent distance on Abbeydale Rd and then just walk up Sheldon Road it only costs £1.50 ?

longer way round - fare stages are roughly a mile apart.

Although I'm wondering if there are some offers on the Abbeydale Road buses to price match Stagecoach service 87.

Any reason why this bus service changed numbers quite frequently a few years ago, i remember it being 93, 13, 14 and now 22. Will this be a more permanent number and is there any information on any forthcoming timetable updates/route changes to help reliability.

Its up there with the worst bus routes in Sheffield.

Any reason why this bus service changed numbers quite frequently a few years ago, i remember it being 93, 13, 14 and now 22. Will this be a more permanent number and is there any information on any forthcoming timetable updates/route changes to help reliability.

Its up there with the worst bus routes in Sheffield.

It's never been the 93, 13 or 14. They were totally different routes. The 93 went along the bottom of manor to woodhouse (didn't it run from near the top of Halifax Road? I know SUT {?} used to run the 94 and 98 from Halifax Road to Handsworth, as I used to go out with a bloke who lived at Ballifield, at Handsworth 20-odd years ago, and I could catch a 94 from Eastern Avenue over the Manor via Fairleigh/ Fretson/ Wulfric roads. I could also catch it going the the other way to my mates at wadsley bridge.)

The 22 route used to be the 97, which ran between the Nether Edge and Northern General hospitals, (terminating at the top of moonshine lane near the Magnet Pub on Southey Green) then, about 20 or so years ago, it was renumbered from the 97 to the 22, and then the destinations were mucked about with, firstly going Nether Edge- City- Wybourn, and back, then altering yet again, to Nether Edge - City- Woodhouse.

the 13/14 were the service between City-Loxley/ Wisewood, which were extended to take in Manor and I think, Woodhouse.

I received a letter from south yorkshire travel thanking (ha!) me for my complaint and stated that First would be in contact with me.

I've downloaded the First Bus app for my phone which helps- it's better to stay in the warmth of my house rather than bracing the Sheffield "Spring" for 30/40 minutes in the morning.