Sheffield Cycling on the increase

There are some facts of life that will remain for eternity, until the Earth ceases to be.

1. The sun will rise.

2. The wind will blow.

3. The clouds will gather.

4. The rain will fall.

5. People of Sheffield forum will continue to knock the living daylights out of each other on the issue of cycling. The motorists will scream about road tax (completely wrongly) and why cyclists going through red-lights, while ignoring bad behavior by drivers. While in response cyclists will shout tar all drivers with the same brush and apologize for the bad behavior of some cyclists. Seriously, just agree to disagree.

yep, that's the conclusion I came to. I've kinda given up on the cycling threads because it's the same old rhetoric.

So basically a pedestrian stepped into the road, which was NSL, and the cyclists stopped at the scene.

Frankly the pedestrian is lucky it was a cyclist and not a car!

Even the pedestrian isn't blaming the cyclist

Martin was hit at Lamb Hill, where a popular walking route emerges from footpaths on to the road. There are currently roadworks, and no warning sign for road-users ahead of the bend.

He added: “I don’t blame the lad in some ways because he had a green light and was on a stretch where it’s the national speed limit and they’ve resurfaced the road. There’s no sign telling people to watch out for pedestrians or slow down.

If you were trying to 'counter' the story about hit and run drivers, then that's a massive fail on your part. Or perhaps you mean to imply that being a hit and run driver is okay, because sometimes pedestrians step in front of cyclists?

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 08:24 ----------

There are some facts of life that will remain for eternity, until the Earth ceases to be.

1. The sun will rise.

2. The wind will blow.

3. The clouds will gather.

4. The rain will fall.

5. People of Sheffield forum will continue to knock the living daylights out of each other on the issue of cycling. The motorists will scream about road tax (completely wrongly) and why cyclists going through red-lights, while ignoring bad behavior by drivers. While in response cyclists will shout tar all drivers with the same brush and apologize for the bad behavior of some cyclists. Seriously, just agree to disagree.

And the 80% of cyclists who are also motorists? Are they like Jekyll and Hyde?

When has a cyclist tarred all drivers with the same brush?

If you were trying to 'counter' the story about hit and run drivers, then that's a massive fail on your part. Or perhaps you mean to imply that being a hit and run driver is okay, because sometimes pedestrians step in front of cyclists?

If you actually read what I posted I did say it wasn't clear what happened, at no point did I blame the cyclist.

The point is, a car is dangerous to cyclists and car drivers need to be aware, but the article I linked also shows how dangerous bicycles can be to pedestrians, so cyclists also need to be aware of the damage they can cause.

As I also mentioned, I've seen a few cyclists travelling into the underpass opposite Waitrose far too quickly and on a number of occasions nearly hitting pedestrians....It's an area where cyclists and pedestrians mix.

Regards

Doom

Well, yes, cyclists need to be aware. And they generally are. Unlike a car driver hitting a cyclist or pedestrian, a cyclist is very likely to be injured as well.

It's difficult to be aware of someone stepping into the road though, cyclists are no more psychic than motorists or pedestrians.

The underpass with cycle lanes marked clearly on the floor. The one where pedestrians are often walking in those cycle lanes.

Through the passageways it isn't shared space. There's one section for bikes and one for pedestrians. Who invariably then walk in the section where the bikes are supposed to be.

And indeed the cycle path going up Halifax Rd, I looked like cycling into a pedestrian who refused to move out of the cycle path just last week. He made eye contact, and then continued to walk straight towards me, only moving at the last second.

And the 80% of cyclists who are also motorists? Are they like Jekyll and Hyde?

When has a cyclist tarred all drivers with the same brush?

but it's the 20% who are either one or the other that make the most noise and shout up hatred. And you do get the odd sanctimonious cyclist who thinks 4 wheels is inherently evil. Not on here so much, but go on the national CTC forum. And they offer all sorts of excuses made why a RLJing cyclist is justified in his actions. Just seeing a "one less car" reflective vest sums this anti-driver attitude up.

The 80% of us that ride and drive are tolerant of all road users and apply common sense in making our actions and judging others.

We need a "like" button.

Well, yes, cyclists need to be aware. And they generally are. Unlike a car driver hitting a cyclist or pedestrian, a cyclist is very likely to be injured as well.

It's difficult to be aware of someone stepping into the road though, cyclists are no more psychic than motorists or pedestrians.

The underpass with cycle lanes marked clearly on the floor. The one where pedestrians are often walking in those cycle lanes.

Through the passageways it isn't shared space. There's one section for bikes and one for pedestrians. Who invariably then walk in the section where the bikes are supposed to be.

And indeed the cycle path going up Halifax Rd, I looked like cycling into a pedestrian who refused to move out of the cycle path just last week. He made eye contact, and then continued to walk straight towards me, only moving at the last second.

The problem with the underpass is that cyclists are coming around blind corners, so they need to slow down and be aware that there may well be pedestrians down there, but a few I've seen are travelling far too fast.

I've also seen cyclists on pedestrian footpaths travelling far too fast.

What the article I've linked shows is how much damage a cyclist can cause to a pedestrian, so where they're travelling in areas where pedestrians are likely to be, they need to slow down and be aware.

I had a young scroat nearly crash into the back of me on a footpath on Glossop Road a few years back. He was cycling down there far too fast trying to weave through the pedestrians. Obviously he wasn't a proper cyclist, I'm afraid there's loonies in all walks of life, but he very nearly clattered into the back of me at speed.

On another point, maybe it's down to my eyesight, but I don't think it's always easy to distinguish between the black and red tarmac where cycle paths and footpaths are side by side.

Regards

Doom

I've seen cyclists on pedestrian footpaths, and in general it annoys me. Although I try to take into account the home secretary having said that it's acceptable (although why he didn't just change the law I don't know).

At the end of the day, cyclists injuring pedestrians is pretty rare. Motorists killing cyclists is far too common. I know which I consider to be the larger problem.

It's red, it has bikes painted onto it, and there are often upright signs in blue with a cycle on one side and a bike on the other. There are enough clues!

I've seen cyclists on pedestrian footpaths, and in general it annoys me. Although I try to take into account the home secretary having said that it's acceptable (although why he didn't just change the law I don't know).

At the end of the day, cyclists injuring pedestrians is pretty rare. Motorists killing cyclists is far too common. I know which I consider to be the larger problem.

It's red, it has bikes painted onto it, and there are often upright signs in blue with a cycle on one side and a bike on the other. There are enough clues!

In certain circumstances I'm in favour of cyclists going onto footpaths, I think it's better for the motorists and safer for the cyclists, as long as the cyclists remain aware of pedestrians and slow down in their vicinity.

At the end of the day cyclists, motorists and pedestrians all need to be aware of each other and show each other a degree of courtesy.

Regarding cycle paths, I don't think they are always clear. I've often struggled to distinguish between the black and red tarmac on the cycle path at the side of Hannover Way. I suspect with years of wear and tear the red has faded and become very similar to the black pedestrian tarmac.

Regards

Doom

But you DO know which is which, right, from experience... It's not like it changes. And there are blue signs up on Hannover Way to tell you.

If everyone took an appropriate amount of care, all the time, then accidents would surely be reduced.

That said, if I'm going to hit someone due to inattention, or because they step out, I'd rather it happen on my bike than in my car, because they'll almost certainly survive being hit by my bike. The more dangerous your vehicle, the greater the responsibility, is I guess what I'm trying to say.

But you DO know which is which, right, from experience... It's not like it changes. And there are blue signs up on Hannover Way to tell you.

If everyone took an appropriate amount of care, all the time, then accidents would surely be reduced.

That said, if I'm going to hit someone due to inattention, or because they step out, I'd rather it happen on my bike than in my car, because they'll almost certainly survive being hit by my bike. The more dangerous your vehicle, the greater the responsibility, is I guess what I'm trying to say.

Experience isn't enough. The cycling infrastructure in the city is atrocious, especially for new cyclists/newcomers, how many students do you see on a bike?

Regarding the Story in the Star. The writing style is tabloid sensationalist ignore the facts nonsense. I'm not going to offer an opinion whose fault it was based on the article because....

Apparently the cyclist wasn't simply riding his bike, he was hit by a cyclist careering around a bend on a country lane and "he had his head down, he didn’t see me" said the man who was hit from behind and who didn't see the bike.

His wife said “Martin is quite a stocky chap but if this cyclist had hit a child or an elderly person the damage could have been unthinkable." Well be thankful it wasn't a car as you may now both be dead, no matter how 'stocky you are, because it seems that a footpath emerges directly onto a country road temporarily narrowed for roadworks.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 10:33 ----------

On another point, maybe it's down to my eyesight, but I don't think it's always easy to distinguish between the black and red tarmac where cycle paths and footpaths are side by side.
Q.So how do you tell which bit is the cyclepath then?

A. It's the bit the pedestrians are walking on.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 10:47 ----------

The point is, a car is dangerous to cyclists and car drivers need to be aware, but the article I linked also shows how dangerous bicycles can be to pedestrians, so cyclists also need to be aware of the damage they can cause.
Everyone needs to pay attention! Pedestrians stepping out in front of cyclist can injure cyclists as well as themselves. I've taken out a pedestrian who looked up road saw me coming down the hill towards them and stepped out anyway, I took evasive action and aimed to go behind them but they panicked upon realising what they had done stepped back, so I turned to go in front of them. Still panicking the pedestrian then lurched forward and promptly hit the deck I as contacted them. It was like a scene from a silent comedy movie! Lucky for the the numpty I'd slowed down enough that they were simply knocked onto ground as opposed to being bounced along the road and I didn't come off my bike.

As I also mentioned, I've seen a few cyclists travelling into the underpass opposite Waitrose far too quickly and on a number of occasions nearly hitting pedestrians....It's an area where cyclists and pedestrians mix.
The section at Moorfoot by that underpass was always very poorly laid out with the cycling paths and pavement. But now it's an utter disaster as the various random bike lanes, going across/joining the roads and pavements there, seemed to be designed to cause as much conflict between vehicles, bikes and pedestrians as possible.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 10:51 ----------

Experience isn't enough. The cycling infrastructure in the city is atrocious, especially for new cyclists/newcomers, how many students do you see on a bike?
So how exactly do you tell which cyclists are students then? Edited by jezzyjj