Sheffield Cycling on the increase

I REALLY wish I'd had a cam on my bike today.

A friend and I rode out to Monsal Head then Bakewell and back. We were passed by cars going right over double white solid lines more than 30 times. Twice cars had to brake and swerve in between us as a car came the other way around a bend (hence the solid lines).

Not one of the above cars waited so much as one second behind us - I heard them approaching and they drove straight past over the lines.

Down the hill under the bridge where it is signed 'oncoming cars in the middle of the road' a 4x4 overtook us as a car was coming up the hill, he only just avoided a head on collision by again swerving back in at the last moment.

On the way home on the the climb towards Fox House a car passed us just before a bend completely on the wrong side of the road, another cyclists came around the bend, had to swerve heavily and and nearly ended up in the ditch.

That's just one ride on one day, not one word of the above is exaggerated and I haven't even mentioned other minor incidents such as close passes.

Let me make it clear, not ONE of the above drivers was being 'held up' by us in any way, they simply drove straight past us illegally, ignoring the obvious danger. All they had to do was wait a few seconds while we'd rounded a bend or crested a hill and passing would have been completely safe. (As plenty of other cars did).

And people on here are moaning about the odd cyclist running a red light being dangerous? Don't make me laugh!

I would really rather drivers overtook me and went over the solid white lines (provided the other carriageway is visible and clear so it is safe for the driver) to give me a wide berth, rather than squeeze past within the white lines. I cycle on Manchester Road which has a few fast sections with solid lines, but its usually not too busy so drivers can overtake and I hardly ever slow anyone down.

Unless you are doing less than 10mph they simply shouldn't overtake where there are solid lines. No squeezing, and no using the other carriageway.

Cycling is a great way to get around the city, as long as people stay safe!

We are soon launching a road safety campaign to raise awareness for the precautions you can take to stay safe, and encourage other road users to act sensibly on the roads too.

Some cities are almost cycling only in the centres, such as Cambridge!

Unless you are doing less than 10mph they simply shouldn't overtake where there are solid lines. No squeezing, and no using the other carriageway.

I often wonder if most drivers are aware of this part of the Highway Code. They certainly don't apply it when passing me (I'm not using the word overtake as that isn't really what they're doing...).

I bet some drivers would see it as they aren't allowed to cross the solid line, not that they can't overtake cyclists who are travelling over 10mph. I don't manage to go much over 10mph, probably 13/14 on the flat :(

Just an 18 month ban. Another driver getting away with it. Out in 3 months, in a car again by the end of next year. Driving seems to be a right, rather than something earned.

I do not regard this as a momentary inattention, nearer to reckless risk taking. Mr Parkin was visible for 57 metres from where you were. Your miscalculation cost him his life. In the pre-sentence report there is not one single word of remorse or one expression of sympathy for the family of the deceased.”

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/grassroots/death-driver-locked-up-1-6552475

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/local/city-cyclist-dies-after-picking-up-his-new-bike-1-5677136

That last one had me in stitches. Perfect example that cyclists are quite often just as bad. I'd say that the Royal Mail bike was a bit harsh as he was probably just going from one block of apartments to the other (although he should have been pushing the bike if that was the case) and whilst it sounds ridiculous, it isnt against any law to use your phone whilst cycling. Id argue that the guy texting wasnt riding with due care so probably deserved to be on there but the lady didnt.

It depends on the road I suppose. I'm an anti-pavement cyclist, but there's a stretch of fast dual carriageway near me and a pavement that I use simply for my own safety. There are no houses nearby or anyone using the pavement.

Had to share this, calmest roadside argument between cyclilst and motorist ever...

Had to share this, calmest roadside argument between cyclilst and motorist ever...

I love that video. So British!