Sheffield Cycling on the increase

Safest option is to simply not leave the primary road position- stay bang between the tracks and don't ever cross them.

you just cannot do that safely, today for example i was doing just this as i was in a good mood and seeing that i had just replaced my brake blocks i was feeling confident riding the bike. (usually i have to be careful because the brakes where so poor).

so i had a bit of speed up and was enjoying the adrenalin rush. then what happens? i plonker in a range rover overtakes me dodgers back in front and forces me to brake hard as we were coming up to the lights.

i tell you i banged on the window and if god forbid he had dared open the door i would have decked him. not proud of that but it was a blatant act so drivers be warned if a cyclist has got that adrenalin rush and you do something stupid you had better be prepared to back it up. instead of hiding in your tin box!!:rant:

IMAG0097

Not recommended really, but shows possibilities - 700x35 touring wheels & tyres on a hardtail MTB frameset

Drops on a frunt-susser isn't really ideal - this was a case of necessity being the mother of invention as a temporary measure whilst I awaited the interim insurance payment for a replacement bike.

Using parts from my touring bike after the frame was written off, but not wishing to ride everywhere on a mountain bike

Have you thought about getting a cyclocross bike?

You need to ride it in a different way to a full suspension i.e. look at the road and avoid potholes, and, learn to relax your arms when going over smaller obstacles.

I ride a decathlon rockrider- a £100 (new) bike that, for the price, is actually decent quality, because it has zero suspension.

I recently had a go on my mates far more expensive full suspension mtb, and it felt like a clown bike :) loads of rocking, so much wastage of energy and a bike so heavy he has to get off and push up steep hills that I ride up easily.

Of course, full suspension is necessary on the mtb downhill bike tracks, but, for roads, total overkill.

I have the same bike but the version with front suspension. They are decent bikes. I should really get a road bike for the miles I do, but the roads on my commute are terrible in places, like at Wharncliffe Side, plus I like to ride on trails and tracks. I have been considering fitting it with slicker tyres for the summer, so I can go faster :) Are semi slick tyres more prone to punctures though? I've been lucky not to have a single one yet with my knobbly tyres on.

Have you thought about getting a cyclocross bike?

No...a tourer is more my thing than a CX. This was more a "needs must" between for-purpose bikes. The bike pictured no longer exists (although most parts do, all on different bikes now)

IMAG0097

Not recommended really, but shows possibilities - 700x35 touring wheels & tyres on a hardtail MTB frameset

Interesting! I was wondering about doing that as I have some 700c rims I could build up with discs to go on my hardtail for road riding/cyclocross tyres. But I was told there was not enough clearance by bike shops for 700c on frames/forks designed for 26" wheels when I made some recent enquiries.

I have very narrow road tires for my MTB rims but a bigger wheels will be more comfy and it means I can just change the tyres on my hard tail tyres by quickly swapping wheels depending on what i'm using bike for. This is what I do for my wet/dry MTB tyres on my other bike. I have a wheelset for each tyre type because the UK weather is so changeable and swapping tubeless tyres not being that practical.

Drops on a frunt-susser isn't really ideal - this was a case of necessity being the mother of invention as a temporary measure whilst I awaited the interim insurance payment for a replacement bike.
I rode a drop handle-barred tandem off road for a while and even did some off road races on it which were interesting. I miss that bike. :( Edited by jezzyjj

Please look out for details of the Sheffield Outdoor Recreation Survey, coming soon to the Sheffield Discussions page on the forum.

We are keen to hear from as many different groups of people who use Sheffield open spaces for sport and leisure as possible, including cyclists.

By completing the survey, you will be supporting the Council's work to develop the city's outdoor economy, and you will be entered into a draw to win £100.

Lets hope the british police dont take this sort of action.........http://t.co/HVPLnaptm3

There are some facts of life that will remain for eternity, until the Earth ceases to be.

1. The sun will rise.

2. The wind will blow.

3. The clouds will gather.

4. The rain will fall.

5. People of Sheffield forum will continue to knock the living daylights out of each other on the issue of cycling. The motorists will scream about road tax (completely wrongly) and why cyclists going through red-lights, while ignoring bad behavior by drivers. While in response cyclists will shout tar all drivers with the same brush and apologize for the bad behavior of some cyclists. Seriously, just agree to disagree.

just wait until sheffiled becomes a 20mph limit everwhere, then cyclist can give the finger to motorist as they overtake them(legally)..:hihi::hihi:.

just wait until sheffiled becomes a 20mph limit everwhere, then cyclist can give the finger to motorist as they overtake them(legally)..:hihi::hihi:.

I had to brake for a car in front of me on Royds Moor hill this evening - when I looked at the GPS later on I was doing 48.3mph :D

Pedestrian injured by cyclist:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-dad-s-cyclist-crash-agony-1-6700911

It's not quite clear what exactly happened in this one, because it sounds like the accident was on the road near Dam Flask.

Just as cars need to be aware of cyclists, cyclists also need to be aware of pedestrians, especially in locations where they mix. I've seen a few travelling far too fast coming around blind bends at the underpass near Waitrose.

Regards

Doom