Pregnant!! What next?

Hello all,

I have been previously quite active in this section (trying for baby post). I have been trying with my ex partner for 10 months with no success (now looking back it was probably not a good idea anyway as we split up in the end).

Now I am a very happy girlfriend, having a loving partner and last week I found out that I am pregnant ! It wasn't really a surprise for us as we did not use any contraception anyway but obviously kind of a shock but a nice one :)

Now my questions to you are : What next? I went to my GP on Monday and all I had to do was to fill in the short form and I have been informed that the midwife will be in touch within few weeks. Is that normal? I am 6weeks now so not sure when should I be seen and how the meeting looks like.

Any kind of information of what will happen next will be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Tasia

Congratulations!

When I found out I was pregnant I guessed I was about seven weeks. I called the doctor and they arranged for me to see a midwife. I think it work have been a couple of weeks later. The midwife will give you a folder which keeps all your records in during pregnancy and it has a list of when you will see the midwife and have scans. You can ask all your questions to the midwife, and you'll get the number for triage who you can call any time you have a question / worry.

Good luck!

So, I have been in touch with the midwife and my first appoitment is next Friaday.

Can anybody tell me what to expect on this meeting? Will I have a blood test done?

Many thanks

So, I have been in touch with the midwife and my first appoitment is next Friaday.

Can anybody tell me what to expect on this meeting? Will I have a blood test done?

Many thanks

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

There is some more information on what to expect from your midwife appointments here http://www.sth.nhs.uk/services/a-z-of-services?id=171&page=89

Are you worried about having bloods taken?

They do take some at some point to check certain levels, I can't remember if it's the first appointment or a later one. You could always ask at the surgery to find out for sure

x

Big congrats! :)

Don't worry, you'll feel a lot more informed and organised after your first appointment with the Midwife.

I remember that 'lost' feeling after my docs appointment when I found out I was expecting! I took a home test and the doc basically said well if the test is positive, that's it, you're pregnant! I was like, is that it? Aren't you going to check it's right? Give me some tips etc?! The Midwife will tell you more! X

You won't have bloods until your 12 week scan.

Your first appointment will be talking you through any worries or questions you have. Using the date of your last period to get a due date. Getting a personal medical history. That kind of thing.

You will have blood pressure and carbon monoxide checks at all midwife appointments, oh, and wee!

Congratulations! I had blood taken at my first appointment (last May). I distinctly remember it as the teenager in ahead of me fainted at her blood test and kept me waiting nearly 2 hours for my appointment!

The first midwife appointment is called the 'booking appointment' and it's basically an hour or more of questions. The midwife will ask in detail about you and your family history and carry out lots of basic checks - weight, blood pressure etc, and will then book you in for your twelve week scan at the hospital.

Good luck with everything :).

Hi,

The midwife will take your blood for testing, this used to be done at the 12 scan appointment but is now done at booking with your midwife (I had my little boy 2 years ago and waited over 2 hours in Jessops just for the blood test, this time around was done with midwife and no long waits at the hospital!) they will also check your urine so don't go to the loo just before you go in ( like I did!!!)

They will also give you your pregnancy 'notes' which will be used to record all your appointments through out your pregnancy and also includes information about what to expect in pregnancy, the 'do's and don'ts' and a list of the routine appointments that you will have throughout your pregnancy.

You don't usually start to see your midwife properly until 25 weeks (just 1 appointment at 16 weeks before this!) after 25 weeks appointments will be more regular so they can keep an eye on how things are going!

Try to relax and enjoy this time! :D