Pigeon lofts- Penistone Road embankment

Is that what they are? Or were. In the trees on the embankment below the closed pub on Langsett Rd. Covered in graffiti. They are not usually visible when the trees are full of leaves but I noticed them while queuing in traffic the other day.

yes - not sure if they are still used though.

They don't look like they are used anymore, they look a bit battered,

No they aren't used anymore the last bloke to use them is my mums window cleaner he hasn't been down for years

I wish they'd be taken down and that whole embankment tidied up. It looks like Sheffield has its own shanty town now that some of the trees have been removed. Not a great advert for the city on the major route in from the north.

I wish they'd be taken down and that whole embankment tidied up. It looks like Sheffield has its own shanty town now that some of the trees have been removed. Not a great advert for the city on the major route in from the north.

They were all in use in the 70s well protected they raced pigeons to those sheds from as far as 500 miles away but its a dying sport these days...

Perhaps 'they' are actually finally going to take them down and tidy up the whole area? Now they've thinned the trees out and finished the road works it looks like the obvious next thing to do and would only take a day or two. But then again maybe they'll still be there in another 5 years still looking a mess and very slowly disintegrating.

Perhaps 'they' are actually finally going to take them down and tidy up the whole area? Now they've thinned the trees out and finished the road works it looks like the obvious next thing to do and would only take a day or two. But then again maybe they'll still be there in another 5 years still looking a mess and very slowly disintegrating.

I don't think they are the responsibility of the council, so they'll probably be there until they disintegrate.

Sheffield is a dump thanks to the red nutters that have run it for donkeys years I was born and raised on the bottom road .I knew all the blokes that owned the cotes .there was also a lot on the land on Parkwood Springs and pig sties. Happy days.

There are several other threads that deal with or mention the pigeon lofts, such as this one.

Aww we got our dog from those pidgeon lofts. I was about 5 (I'm 38 now) a collie crossed with a Springer spaniel, she was only one in the litter that was black and white with short hair, all the rest were brown and white and curly haired.

She was shaking at the back and all the others were bounding about. She had a docked tail but it was too low so she basically had no tail at all.

I named her 'Pirate-Rog' 

My dad had her for 17/18 years. 

She used to go all round town and Hillsborough with him before she got too old and had to stay home; everyone knew her. People used to buy her things. 

Edited by HisOnlyStar
Add bit of info