How to stop dog pooing in the house?

Hi

We have a rescue cavalier king Charles spaniel who has a very severe heart murmur. Due to him collapsing & stopping breathing several times when being walked, the vet has said not to walk him anymore.

So we are just letting him out in the garden. Trouble is he will not do a poo in the garden. He will do a wee but doesn't like having a poo.

Now obviously he is busting and is doing it in the house when we are out, obviously its not his fault or anything. He also did one in the bedroom the other night when we were asleep.

Is there anything we can do to encourage him to go in the garden? On the few times he does go in the garden I do praise him & tell him good boy etc. But if its raining or damp he doesn't like to go on the grass, he just does a wee up the fence and comes back in.

Thanks for your help :)

Hi,

Poor little boy - sounds like he's having a rough time!

I think you need to treat him like a puppy! go back to basics, its going to take time and patience but will be worth it.

Luckily the weather is getting better (cough cough)... Have you thought of getting any toilet mats to put by the front door? how long do you leave him?

When i was training my dog i would stand outside for what felt like an eternity until she emptied her bowels but the moment she did it i would give her plenty of praise and a treat and i repeated this until she cracked it. You also need to take note of how often he goes and at what times so that you can get prepared and get yourself outside in plenty of time.

He may look at you with sad puppy dog eyes to start with but once he's cracked it he'll be greatful for it. Dogs (believe it or not) are very clean animals and do not like to go to the toilet where they sleep and eat.

Have you tried cage training him?

I agree with the crate training and going back to basics, let him out every hour, straight after food, play and sleep.

Good luck x

Hi thanks for your replies. We have only had him for 14 months (he is 7) and I have never had a puppy so haven't had to toilet train before.

He is left from 9am until 4.30pm during the week but I go home every lunchtime for an hour.

He used to be walked only for 5 mins in the morning & evening, and he would usually do a poo on his walks.

Now we let him out in the morning, lunchtime and throughout the evening. Sometimes he doesn't even want to go out for a wee if its raining!

I have no problem putting puppy pads down for him but didn't know if this would encourage him to go in the house?

Hi thanks for your replies. We have only had him for 14 months (he is 7) and I have never had a puppy so haven't had to toilet train before.

He is left from 9am until 4.30pm during the week but I go home every lunchtime for an hour.

He used to be walked only for 5 mins in the morning & evening, and he would usually do a poo on his walks.

Now we let him out in the morning, lunchtime and throughout the evening. Sometimes he doesn't even want to go out for a wee if its raining!

I have no problem putting puppy pads down for him but didn't know if this would encourage him to go in the house?

I think the best for you to do is crate training, especially with the amount of hours he's on his own, and crate training is the quickest way of sorting this problem out.

Whilst he's in the crate he will be reluctant to want to go to the toilet and so he will hold his bowels and empty them when you get home. Eventually this will become routine and you will notice that your dog (once the crate has finally been put away as you'll not use it forever) will continue to go at the same times more or less.

Do you know anything about crate training?

why not just nip him out for 3 mins or so , I know the vet said no but i think for the comfort of your doggy , One of my customers has a heart dog like yours and was told the same , he had the same problems but decided it was making his dog uncomfortable and Miserable , as they know his days are numbered they have taken the risk of doing 3/4 minute walks around the block etc

why not just nip him out for 3 mins or so , I know the vet said no but i think for the comfort of your doggy , One of my customers has a heart dog like yours and was told the same , he had the same problems but decided it was making his dog uncomfortable and Miserable , as they know his days are numbered they have taken the risk of doing 3/4 minute walks around the block etc

I agree, I think that its all about quality of life he can't be feeling to happy in himself at the moment.

Why not try just a slow gentle walk with breaks for a rest and be careful in warm weather, give him a treat then take him back as soon as he's done what he needs to.

Because that was what I have been doing for the last few months. He was walked for less than 5 minutes with breaks every couple of minutes at a very slow pace.

He collapsed last week after a couple of minutes and stop breathing. effectively died in my arms. I gave him mouth to mouth & chest compressions to start his heart again.

I do not want to go through this again it is highly distressing for me & him.

Because that was what I have been doing for the last few months. He was walked for less than 5 minutes with breaks every couple of minutes at a very slow pace.

He collapsed last week after a couple of minutes and stop breathing. effectively died in my arms. I gave him mouth to mouth & chest compressions to start his heart again.

Oh that is bad then, I don't blame you for not wanting to go through that again obviously walks really are out no matter how careful.

I think its just a case of being outside until he does it and praise him, and as others have said to take him out lots at times when you know he is likely to go.

If you have been advised not to walk him then take the vets advice. Im sure they are more than qualified to make that decision! And you never know, maybe one day he'll be up to it again. ;)

But the poor dog has no life, what's the long term prognosis for him ?

Ok, i'm gonna sound really cruel here, but my intentions are honerable, as a dog lover who has a king Charles and a Lhasa Apso. It seems that the your dog is really really poorly, and if his quality of life is as you've written then i must question whats best for the dog here.

I would more than be inclined that when he next has his episope of his heart stopping, I would hold in my arms and tell him how much you love him and let him go to sleep. Now I know that may sound cruel, but it's not intended to, I hope you see where I'm coming from.! Good luck with him, and give him a cudle from all on here.!

jt