Bus Fare Rises From 30th March 2014

anyone know why the Optio tickets were withdrawn? They provided an excellent service.

I thought it was still 70p for a single (mind you, when I were a lad it were 5p!)

The new child day/week tickets seem good value though if the kids use the bus a lot.

Childs fare is still 70p

As is a 16-18 fare with valid pass

Students fares have gone up to £1

pay it or walk,simple

that sort of comment doesnt help

Ok. So. Just to clarify. I only use the 52. So tomorrow I'll pay

£12.00 and if I buy from First I only use on First?and if I buy

from Stagecoach I only use on Stagecoach. ;-)

Are you a bus driver?! :hihi:

No, the Passenger Transport Executive have terminated them not the council, the council have nothing to do with buses.

Thankfully they have terminated this service. I never understood the point of it. It was a waste of money. The way Sheffield is logistically its easier to walk through the city centre than to bus it round.

It was only ever full of chavs or twirlys. I got it a few times only because I was paying for the darnn thing so I might as well use it.

The £12 weekly ticket is still valid on all 52 buses and also all other buses operate by the company you buy the ticket from.

The only change is the promotional route 52 only ticket has been withdrawn.

If you want to see an example of what I meant about continually rising transport prices. Go to the link that is illustrated below.

I think it makes the point.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2013/12/london-bus-and-tube-users-face-31-fares-hike

That is of course just about London....

But it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise - or much of a big deal.

Fares go up every year - they have to as the cost of providing the service also goes up and if you expect travel businesses to keep reinvesting in the service they have to maintain their profit margin. Simple, practical fact of life.

It is probably also worth pointing out First slashed their fares 2 years ago. From where I live into town they used to charge £2.50 single, about £4.50 for a day ticket and £18.50 for a weekly ticket, now the fares have just gone up to.... £2.20 single, £3.80 for a day ticket and £12 for a weekly ticket!

Edited by Andy C

It's alright putting up posters and updating the website but no-one seems to have told the drivers.

On the 52 (Stagecoach) I was told they would not be accepting each other's weekly passes as they had been told not to by the garage. I checked this with Stagecoach and they confirmed that I was correct and, yes, both companies will accept each other's weekly bus only passes on Optio routes.

Then on the way home when I showed the Optio pass (mine ran out today) the Stagecoach driver just held his hands up and shook his head. I was quite miffed off by now and I pointed out that he had to honour it as it was paid for. I was quite assertive and probably looked a bit scary by now :mad: 'cos he let me on. It's not their fault - they clearly haven't had the whole farce explained to them.

Both First And Stagecoach have to accept optio passes purchased on or before Saturday 29th March, as they are still valid until Friday 4th April. I'm a bus driver with First and we have been told to accept both companies tickets until that date, when they are no longer available.

So Stagecoach not accepting them is wrong, you've paid for the ticket before the change then they have to be accepted until they run out. If this happens again report it.

---------- Post added 01-04-2014 at 12:54 ----------

£1 for a childs fare is ridiculous!

It's not £1 for a child fare, it's still 70p, (with a new £2 daily and a £5 weekly ticket available for Children). It's the student fare that has gone up to £1, but the student weekly ticket is still £7, so makes sense now to purchase the weekly ticket, making it cheaper to travel.

I tried explaining this yesterday to students, who just looked at me confused and paid the £1 even though i know most of them use the bus every day

:confused:

Edited by vizzbucks

I was annoyed yesterday when i found out i can no longer get on the stagecoach 120 with the first week ticket which is now £12.

This has annoyed me because i catch the 120's to work every night. And since it varies which one turns up first, im going to have to turn down the stagecoach and wait for first which may make me late.

Bus driver on 52 stage coach very nice today! I said I'll have

Whatever has replaced the £10.50 optio whatnot ticket!

I paid £11.50 for a ticket he said I could also use on stage coach

(Which I did on the journey home) and in his words 'until the powers

that be decide we have separate tickets'

:)