Nether Edge street market

I'm local, and I was there...

Is there something wrong with being white and middle class?

Nothing at all, I'm just pointing out that for a local market, literally on the doorstep the local community didnt seem to be bothered, why is this ??

I thought usually some of the local Asians sold Indian dishes etc , although I didnt go this time so can't comment

I thought usually some of the local Asians sold Indian dishes etc , although I didnt go this time so can't comment

There were two Asian stalls and a decent turnout for all communities.

The thing I found strange was the absence of local people. To say nether edge has a very high asian population, all I could see amoungst the crowd were white middle classes munching on overpriced cheese & chutney with a copy of the guardian under their arm !!

I'm local, and I was there...

Is there something wrong with being white and middle class?

I'm white, too (So white, I'm a first-cross with a milk-bottle I think!), and I'm local, and I was there.

I didn't fancy a cheese and chutney sandwich mind you. I bought a portion of roasted vegetable and Paneer (cheese) curry with a cheese, onion and and breadcrumb sort of patty to accompany it. it was very nice.

I saw quite a lot of people there who appeared to have an Indian sub-continent heritage, both staffing the stalls ans purchasing from them.

Went to the Nether Edge market on Sunday as it was a nice sunny day and thought it would be full of interesting stalls. I was very disappointed with what I found, unless you were wanting chutney, cake or an extortionate priced pot with a pansy in for mothers day !

Did many others attend and what were you thoughts on it ?

I attended and thought there how lovely it was to see such a wide display of local produce for sale. There were stalls selling vegetables, fish, cheese, bread, mushrooms, Sheffield honey, pork pies, meat pies, Italian and Asian food plus lots of local meat including Moss Valley Meats which sell Sheffield born and bred bacon and sausages etc.

What do you class as interesting at a Farmers Market?

Edited by stonecircle

We also vist this often, and enjoy yes food is a bit more but there is some really nice stuff. It is always busy we got there around 1.00 and quite a few traders were nearly sold out. which speaks for itself, should be more of this type of thing in sheffield to enjoy.

.I was very disappointed with what I found, unless you were wanting chutney, cake or an extortionate priced pot with a pansy in for mothers day

You weren't trying hard enough!

I bought; some olive oil; some pakoras; some cheese; three second hand books; a pair of earrings; an organic cotton baby-gro; a bag; some sourdough bread; a postcard; some coasters; a bowl; lots of olives; truffle butter; a risotto ready mix (lazy) and a tub of gourmet mushrooms.

I really enjoy the Nether Edge market and there is loads of interesting stuff there. I agree, it's not somewhere to go for a bargain, that's what Aldi is for. However, if you want to support local traders rather than corporate shareholders, better to try and buy locally

(I'm extremely local to the market as well - seeing as we are taking a straw poll of locals)

Although I wasn't there this time, I usually find way too many cup cake stalls at these markets, - as if that is all people like. I think it is good if there is a balance of different types of food and not too many of the 'same old'. Surely this is down to the person allocating the stalls. Whilst I like a cup cake occasionally, all that sugar and cream makes me feel 'sickly' just looking at it.:):)

Was anyone at the market (not sure if it was Nether Edge or Sharrow) where the sausage stall caught on fire and completely burnt out?? :loopy:

Although I wasn't there this time, I usually find way too many cup cake stalls at these markets, - as if that is all people like. I think it is good if there is a balance of different types of food and not too many of the 'same old'. Surely this is down to the person allocating the stalls. Whilst I like a cup cake occasionally, all that sugar and cream makes me feel 'sickly' just looking at it.:):)

There wasn't any actual cupcake stall this time, but a few lovely cake stalls!

The whole event is fantastic. I just don't get why ANYONE would complain about it. We need more of these things, not fewer.

I like the concept of street markets, I would imagine trading is challenging in this economic climate though.