Nether Edge street market

Went to the Nether Edge market on Sunday as it was a nice sunny day and thought it would be full of interesting stalls. I was very disappointed with what I found, unless you were wanting chutney, cake or an extortionate priced pot with a pansy in for mothers day !

Did many others attend and what were you thoughts on it ?

What other kinds of stalls were you expecting? It's full of local traders and businesses, and tends to always have a foodie twist as it's a farmers' market really.

They did have non-food stalls (I spotted a couple of book stalls, jewellery, a stonemason, a glass objects stall, a few homewares stalls, and plants stalls too).

As for the price of things, that's just how much these things cost when you aren't shopping in a global supermarket determined to sell at a loss and put local traders out of business.

I really used to like these markets but as first poster said got bored with same old things and sausage sandwich costing £3.50 etc etc;)

This, for me, is the reason that Sheffield keeps losing its independents and local business. We're all so used to Tesco et al. charging pennies for food that we forget the price of proper meat.

I know the food at the markets can seem expensive, but these are high-quality ingredients and factoring in staff wages, rent, tent hire, fuel, production costs, I'm sure these traders aren't anywhere near raking it in. How much does a McDonald's cost? £3 or £4? And that's just manufactured crap.

Good food costs money. Simple as. Have we all forgotten the horsemeat scandal so soon?

Edited by OopNorth
typo

Yeah, but you need to buy good food every day - not one sunday every few months.

It's advertised as a "farmer's market" - but farmers are definitely in the minority.

It's ok, for what it is, but it's a victim of its popularity and so crowded as to be uncomfortable. There are plenty of good meat and veg shops within walking distance of Nether Edge crossroads.

It should be called "craft and food fair" I think.

---------- Post added 25-03-2014 at 09:49 ----------

I gather horsemeat has grown in popularity as a result of the scandal though.

That's true, there are some amazing food shops in the area, we're very lucky.

And yes, I could see the argument for changing its name. It's not as catchy though. :)

I'd happily eat horsemeat tbh, just as long as it's gone through the proper quality checks and isn't mislabelled horsemeat that's supposed to be beef. :)

With one of those bus ticket vouchers you can get

MacDonalds Big Mac and Fries for £2!!

This, for me, is the reason that Sheffield keeps losing its independents and local business. We're all so used to Tesco et al. charging pennies for food that we forget the price of proper meat.

I know the food at the markets can seem expensive, but these are high-quality ingredients and factoring in staff wages, rent, tent hire, fuel, production costs, I'm sure these traders aren't anywhere near raking it in. How much does a McDonald's cost? £3 or £4? And that's just manufactured crap.

Good food costs money. Simple as. Have we all forgotten the horsemeat scandal so soon?

Well I absolutely love it! There are pies there that are just delicious and again, people have entirely forgotten what real food costs to make (ie stuff that isn't made in the thousands for Tesco or M&S).

I just wish more people would support local industry rather than badmouthing the prices.

The thing I found strange was the absence of local people. To say nether edge has a very high asian population, all I could see amoungst the crowd were white middle classes munching on overpriced cheese & chutney with a copy of the guardian under their arm !!

I'm local, and I was there...

Is there something wrong with being white and middle class?

:love:I live locally and always support the market buy a few items,have a coffee then a nice pub lunch in the Byron nice way to spend a few hours on a Sunday.I always look forward to the next market day and to see so many faces enjoying the day and supporting local businesses.

I'm local, and I was there...

Me too .......

I live on Sheldon rd . I may be Caucasian , but there's nothing middle class about me

My OH went up on Sunday for a mooch , she did say it wasn't as good as usual , not sure why though.