Good Indian Restaurants and the worst ones

Amraj is supposed to be a nice setup inside, but ive not heard all good about the food, mixed reports really.

Amraj is supposed to be a nice setup inside, but ive not heard all good about the food, mixed reports really.

What have you heard??

im taking my mum for her birthday so its got to be good. but its not to late to cancel if its crappy.

i just heard a few times that the food isnt up to scratch, cos i dont think its a cheap place, so when you pay a decent amount for a meal you expect good food.....but on the same note ive heard good reports about the food and service, like i say ive heard mixed reports and i suppose people expect different things. Ive never actually been even though i live just round the corner, i always end up in damons like a mug!

But i think you will enjoy, it definately looks nice ;)

Nirmals on west street is lovely if you want a really traditional place!

And mrs nirmal is a legend!

delhi junction at dore station is excellent - nice decor.

also, nirmals - although she talks too much!

both good for veggies

Also if you want to eat so much you can't walk then Cha Cha's is the place to go. Its pretty basic decor wise but the food more than makes up for it, one of my favourite places to eat in sheff

Me too:thumbsup:

woodseats tandoori atrocious - meat in the veggie stuff too.

like bum gravy

I'd like to know where the sheffielders that originate from these countries eat. I'd like to eat an 'authentic' indian meal and not an anglacised version. I used to work in Bolton which had a little cafe near the train station called the Rice 'n' Three. I still hanker after the food they used serve there, 3 types of curry and rice for about £3.00.

I went to Amraj last night. I'd only rate the food as ok, though that may have been my choice of meal rather than indicative of the restaurant as a whole. I thought the food was a little too mild, I don't like burning hot curry, but I expect to taste the spices in something described as a medium!

Also the portions were a little on the small side and a little more expensive than I'm used to in Sheffield.

It didn't come close to my favourite, Butlers, but if you're taking your Mum out Butlers might not be the best location as you are likely to spot 'ladys of negotiable affection' wandering past the window! :)

Yes

Nirmals - good food, though a bit pricey.

Induz - good and cheap

Takeaway - one on Eckleshal Road next to the Parkhead pub (Sheffields most boring pub), I can't remember it's name

No

Delhi junction - all style and no substance - food like M&S ready meals, very tame.

By far probably the best Indian Curry House in Sheffield used to be Gulshans.

Trouble is it was on the Wicker, so majority of people didnt used to go there a lot, especially on a friday or saturday night (stigmas/reputation etc...)

However there were plenty of locals there who knew it was OK and you never got any trouble.

Their restaurant were simple decor (like the hotels in the indian sub continent) and the food would blast you out of the Galaxy.....

Its always a good sign when 90% of the Indian/Asian majority go there for meals also. Not anglicsed indian version but the real thing.

Chicken peices small, so more spice and sauce to cover the whole chicken (as opposed to giant cubed boiled with paprika and shoved in a pan with some sauce).

Sadly - the management sold out about 1 year ago, so it has changed to completely new hands and it isnt as good (so i have heard).

It would wipe most of Bradfords (curry capital) curry houses off the map.

Shame as it will be missed!

I'd like to know where the sheffielders that originate from these countries eat. I'd like to eat an 'authentic' indian meal and not an anglacised version. I used to work in Bolton which had a little cafe near the train station called the Rice 'n' Three. I still hanker after the food they used serve there, 3 types of curry and rice for about £3.00.

Mangla (Spital Hill)and Gulshan (Wicker) are about the most authentic I think and very reasonable prices. Also the Induz on Attercliffe is really nice. The Amraj at Crystal Peaks is what I term 'Indian for English' - I think the meat is just thrown into the sauce without being marinated or actually cooked in the sauce, so the overall taste is not authentic. The prices at the Amraj are also v high.