Police Patrol Cars

I believe that in earlier pilot tests in Sheffield, the police successfully apprehended criminals travelling from Manchester to commit house burglaries, and drug pushers travelling from Leicester who were under survellience.

The link provided my misterm, about how the system has been operating in Wakefield, demonstrates the effectiveness of this new system....."Police have made 313 arrests, seized 503 vehicles and issued 393 fixed penalty notices since automatic number plate recognition was introduced"

As a few have said and I will say - the system is good as long as valid and accurate data is exchanged.

I will assume the ANPR cameras on penistone road - both towards town 1) where Morisons pull-off is and also 2) about the 1'st or second street lamp after the speed camera (or after the junction - they are around there)

These 'should' help instead of having a Mobile T5 waiting in the wings slowly getting bored and calliong not chasing... :)

I thought those cameras on Penistone road were temporary, traffic surveying ones?

I may be wrong about that but I do know that whatever they are used for it's probable to be able to link them into the ANPR system.

The kit is good but there are still problems if the rivet whcih attache the plate to car is in a certain position it could get the kit to miss read the reg , however it is getting a lot of un mot'd taxe and unlicenced drivers which is good thing. REMEMBER if the car is not taxd / motd then it is moren likely to be involved in a RTA.

I mentioned to a friend at work today that my car passed its MOT yesterday and that the garage mechanic had to enter the details of the test on a computer which sends it direct to the national police database so the cops know the cars that have a proper MOT certificate and those running around without.

My mate told me that its not only the MOT that they can monitor, he says on police patrol cars they now have two mounted cameras, one pointing forwards at the front and one at the rear of the car pointing backwards.

These cameras pick up all the traffic passing and on the dashboard screen of the patrol car the vehicles without insurance, road tax, MOT or driving licence for the registered keeper are INSTANTLY shown up in red on the monitor, (yep he said INSTANTLY).

I'm not for a moment saying this is a bad thing, in fact I think it's a brilliant thing, all I'd really like to know is, is it true? .... have they REALLY reached this stage of technology?

Anybody in the know about it?

yea,they are all true and i beleive its the best for the society of today.

its long being used in the city of london and i love it being used now in sheffield too.

Yep sounds great ,so what technology do we get to actualy get the police to come to our door's when we need them .I know a helium ballon that has HELP ME written on it.

Perhaps a nearby telephone?