Sheffield City Council ticketing in Hillsborough

That is the first true thing you have posted. Isn't it a pity. It would have been nice if a few thousand made the trip into Sheffield and boosted city trade.

But Sheffield council hates motorists and will cut off its nose to spite its face. Better that other towns and cities pick up the trade than make a gesture to the motoring public.

I'm sure people will come to the city. Charging a pound to park for the day will put no-one off visiting in my opinion and that of plenty of others posting on here.

---------- Post added 25-03-2014 at 14:30 ----------

Indeed it would require someone to make the decision and to announce on the radio and TV that yellow line parking would not be enforced for a 12 hour period. It might take 5 minutes to do that. You could take 5 minutes off from your propaganda duty and take it up with your boss.

I have no "propaganda" duties, as I have said before.

I post on here in my own time because I want to, same as you.

---------- Post added 25-03-2014 at 14:32 ----------

I prefer the word myopic.

Amongst other adjectives.

So it's my fault you don't type what you mean. I see.

Got to agree with Planner1. I can't see parking charges having any effect on most peoples decision whether or not to visit Sheffield for the Tour de France.

I just can't see many saying lets cancel our day out to watch the tour because it's going to cost x amount to park thr car.

Quite eloquently put.

I have a suggestion for SCC in regards to this. Actually do it, One weekend, make it a weekend when both football teams are playing at home and there's a large concert at the arena, maybe an event or two at a few parks. For that weekend, NO CEOs at all, no enforcement in those areas.

Then watch SF for the triple figure page thread on here blasting SCC for not enforcing the law, moaning and complaining by the very ones in this thread who are opposing enforcement.

Thank you at last.

I agree with you but unfortunately I don't think the council is allowed to do it planner1 may have the answer to that.

You are the only one that as come up with an idea.

They very quick to slate but no ideas of what to do instead of

Same council. The same problem.

---------- Post added 25-03-2014 at 14:15 ----------

I suppose that would depend whether the idea of having the city disrupted by 250,000 folk spectating on the Tour de France in Sheffield is in the hope that large numbers of them will take a trip to the city centre, spend their money and boost the economy and fortunes of the city centre traders. But perhaps you and the council think they will all drop in for a beer and a sandwich at The Cow & Calf.

I would imagine it would be quite nightmarish to get from the route to the City Centre from certain areas anyway, people will just go home and eat, or eat nearby. Or eat before. Or bring their own provisions. Or, heaven forbid, use public transport.

The popularity of visiting the city centre on Sundays has increased over the years. As in all such things, they reach a tipping point and the authorities react accordingly. Sheffield is one of the last major cities to start charging on Sundays.

IF SCC have managed without charging for Sundays all this time then why change now unless it's for the money? What does it matter to Sheffield what other towns do or don't do...? If Leeds stopped charging would Sheffield follow suit?

IF SCC have managed without charging for Sundays all this time then why change now unless it's for the money? What does it matter to Sheffield what other towns do or don't do...? If Leeds stopped charging would Sheffield follow suit?

I used to park on Campo Lane on a Sunday. Single yellow.

The beauty being that in doing so there were no time constraints put on me and my family so we didn't have to rush around and we could spend our time more leisurely. So instead of spending an hour in town, I might spend two or more.

That's a no-no now.

Otherwise, I use the Q Park off Rockingham Street which cost-wise isn't too bad. But you know, just for a change, on a Sunday, it was nice to call into town and park for nothing, almost a bit of a 'thank you' for taking my business there.

But only a myopic planner or employee of our council would fail to see this! (The myopic referring to Planner1's general holier-than-thou and never in the wrong comments/beliefs etc.)

Why not charge? If it bothers you that much, go and park somewhere else or go to Meadowhall. No one is forcing you to come to Sheffield. And, it's a pound for crying out loud, hardly going to break the bank, is it?!

Some people really need to get some perspective in life. God, there are more important things to in life, get a grip.

Scc has enforced parking on Sundays for years and years.

Last year they decided to charge for p&d parking and extend the syl restriction to Sundays because there was a need for it, more and more people were parking in town on a Sunday that it was getting dangerous for pedestrians and motorists alike. The best way to control that is to apply for a restriction so that it can be policed fairly for everybody that uses the town centre.

That has to be paid for in some way so to put a charge of £1:00 for all day parking isn't unjust to me, I feel it is fair and safe for everybody that uses the city centre

Got to agree with Planner1. I can't see parking charges having any effect on most peoples decision whether or not to visit Sheffield for the Tour de France.

I just can't see many saying lets cancel our day out to watch the tour because it's going to cost x amount to park thr car.

But that is precisely NOT the point. When the council introduced charges on Sunday they also banned parking on single yellow lines. So it isn't a case of not being willing to pay to park. It has become more difficult to park because there are only half the number of parking spots there were a year ago.

Why not charge? If it bothers you that much, go and park somewhere else or go to Meadowhall. No one is forcing you to come to Sheffield. And, it's a pound for crying out loud, hardly going to break the bank, is it?!

Some people really need to get some perspective in life. God, there are more important things to in life, get a grip.

If they haven't charged for years why start now..? I have quite a good perspective on life, thanks for your concern.. :) going into town is very near the bottom of my "must do list" .. I think you need to sit down in a dark room for a bit and relax.. :)

If they haven't charged for years why start now..? I have quite a good perspective on life, thanks for your concern.. :) going into town is very near the bottom of my "must do list" .. I think you need to sit down in a dark room for a bit and relax.. :)

It seems there are a lot of folk who don't want Sheffield to prosper. Preventing visitors from parking in the city is a good start. Sheffield council expect folks to come to Sheffield from the surrounding area by public transport on a Sunday and spend their money. The problem is there are more welcoming places where you park, shop, drink, dine without the hassle. As Sheffield's city centre continues to decline the incentive to visit declines too.