Sheffield City Council ticketing in Hillsborough

You know the parking restrictions are there for a reason, in particular because parking in restricted places causes a huge amount of grief for people who happen to live there? And causes obstructions and congestion on the roads?

I live on a side road by Hillsborough park and regularly thank the ticket wardens for the great work they do at ticketing the inconsiderate ******s double parking on my road.

No one can complain about getting a ticket for parking on a clearway/double-yellow. The rules are simple and there for a reason. If you're going to the park then there are millions of parking spots free at all hours within a 5 minute walk.

I'm not saying you're exaggerating slightly, but even if there were only a million (not 'millions' as you write) parking spots within a five minute walk, they'd take up four square kilometres ... that's bumper to bumper and no room to open the doors. Give them some room and I guess you're talking ten square kilometres easily. Where abouts in Hillsborough is this 'free' car park? :huh:

Why the hell should any council have as part of its responsibilities helping drivers park safely? Isn't parking safely part of the driving test?

Knowing the highway code and being able to obey road signs is part of the driving test, yes. That would include ones that tell you where you cannot park.

And the council shouldn't have such a responsibility because council tax payers would have to fund it. I have no interest in paying a huge amount more in tax to guide idiots out of areas where they already know they cannot park.

Just reread your post and you weren't suggesting it should, sorry.

Knowing the highway code and being able to obey road signs is part of the driving test, yes. That would include ones that tell you where you cannot park.

And the council shouldn't have such a responsibility because council tax payers would have to fund it. I have no interest in paying a huge amount more in tax to guide idiots out of areas where they already know they cannot park.

And would that include the parking wardens who have been caught parking in and on the very areas that they prosecute others for so doing.

I'm not saying you're exaggerating slightly, but even if there were only a million (not 'millions' as you write) parking spots within a five minute walk, they'd take up four square kilometres ... that's bumper to bumper and no room to open the doors. Give them some room and I guess you're talking ten square kilometres easily. Where abouts in Hillsborough is this 'free' car park? :huh:

Morrison's car park is free (they cannot do you for parking there) and I believe Owlerton Stadium (none event days) is free too (although it was when I used to live down there).

Anyhow, the thing with this is that people should do their homework before going to such event(s). It's not rocket science, researching, finding and parking at a spot where you are not likely to be ticketed. I can't see how people can blame the council for their own stupidity, laziness and/or ignorance.

---------- Post added 24-03-2014 at 15:27 ----------

And would that include the parking wardens who have been caught parking in and on the very areas that they prosecute others for so doing.

Evidence, please :)

Yes it should, but that's nothing to do with this topic really.

The council spends council tax payers money on events like this and on things like the Tour de France in the hope that some publicity and prestige rubs off on the city. I suppose all that some people want folk to remember about Sheffield is it is the place that pulled down the Don Valley Stadium, where steel used to be made, where there used to be an airport and a place where Yorkshire used to play cricket.

Morrison's car park is free (they cannot do you for parking there) and I believe Owlerton Stadium (none event days) is free too (although it was when I used to live down there).

Anyhow, the thing with this is that people should do their homework before going to such event(s). It's not rocket science, researching, finding and parking at a spot where you are not likely to be ticketed. I can't see how people can blame the council for their own stupidity, laziness and/or ignorance.

---------- Post added 24-03-2014 at 15:27 ----------

Evidence, please :)

Can't be bothered as its been discussed on these threads in the last Month.

One being parking on yellows outside their own office the other leaving their own cars on suspended bays around Solly Street for days on end.

It is obvious that there is one rule for council vehicles and council employees and that applied to Joe and Jill Soap.

Edited by cuttsie

At last somebody on here making some sence well done

Ok, you got me.

Even on match day I don't have a problem parking < 5 mins from my house/the park. There's plenty of parking, even if you have to stretch your legs a little bit when it's busy.

There's no need to double park and risk getting a ticket, irrespective of how well natured your intentions are and how much money you've raised for charity.

People who are inconsiderate and double park are ******s and I enjoy seeing them getting ticketed.

Can't be bothered as its been discussed on these threads in the last Month.

One being parking on yellows outside their own office the other leaving their own cars on suspended bays around Solly Street for days on end.

Does this mean that we shouldn't have enforcement, or that people parking illegally in Hillsborough should be let off? No.

---------- Post added 24-03-2014 at 15:36 ----------

The council spends council tax payers money on events like this and on things like the Tour de France in the hope that some publicity and prestige rubs off on the city. I suppose all that some people want folk to remember about Sheffield is it is the place that pulled down the Don Valley Stadium, where steel used to be made, where there used to be an airport and a place where Yorkshire used to play cricket.

I can understand why money is spent on public events.

I don't see how that relates to not enforcing the parking rules or hand holding idiots who knowingly park where they shouldn't though.

I agree with most of what you say, but i think that there should be a little bit more understanding about parking, letts say on a Saturday there could be more leniency than other days.

i bet your nice really when your not working;)

I'm a nice person when I'm at work and when I'm not:hihi:

There can't be leniency because that would be selective enforcement then the council would then be in big trouble because that's against the traffic management act

I agree with most of what you say, but i think that there should be a little bit more understanding about parking, letts say on a Saturday there could be more leniency than other days.

i bet your nice really when your not working;)

Leniency in what form? Allow people to park where they block the tram route? But only if they block it for no more than 10 minutes?

Let them park on double yellow lines where they cause other traffic problems?

Or just let them overstay the metre because they didn't want to pay enough?