Why are the schools closing?

Why are the schools closed when it snows?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Why are the schools closed when it snows?

• Teachers are bone idle and should be working instead of finding an excuse to wag it
    • Teachers are wise old owls and closing schools when it snows is the right thing to do
    • Teachers are upstanding pillars of the cumminuty and deserve an extra day off whenever they can

My last 3 posts contain three of your earlier quotes Tony.

Proof I think that this thread was originally aimed at 'bone idle' teachers with no 'gumption', and that's what me and others have been defending them against.

The 'moaning' bit comes in much later, and has nothing to do with school closures due to snow.

No 'teacher' has yet closed a school because of snow. The first they hear of it is on the radio, or by phone.

"Man finds his factory is closed for the day due to some fault. Does he say, 'I'll go in anyway and stand outside for 8 hours just to show I'm not bone idle?' or does he do what the teachers do and say, "Oh well, no work today so I'll stay at home".

If YOU were that teacher, what would you do?

TONY!!!!!

28k is not a good wage when you compare it to what other graduates earn. I spent 4 years at university and left with an honours degree. I have worked for 10 years. I just feel I deserve the same wage as other graduates who have have worked 10 years. They are now talking about freezing teachers wages so I won't even get my tiny pay rise in April.

t020

My spelling is not the issue here, you ranting about something you know nothing about is! If you are that clever then once again I put it to you...TEACH MY CLASS.. just for one day. You have very little life experience and yet you feel qualifed to comment. Come and get some experience. Spend the day in my class.

At last, somemore positive feedback on the subject.

Welcome back Gillie, PM noted.

Cheers.:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Gillie

and yet you feel qualifed to comment.

That would be because this is a message board..... :rolleyes:

As a registered user, I have all the qualifications I need to comment on this or any other issue, thank you very much (you're not in class now, MISS).

As for owing everything to teachers...... I achieved good grades throughout my school 'career' but I owe it to myself for working hard and for my parents for encouraging me, supporting me, and for giving me the genetic make-up that made me intelligent in the first place :D

All teachers do is spoon feed the National Curriculum through various text books and tick marks against homework. At my school, they didn't really ever have to deal with any troublesome kids either. Markham - for someone who isn't a teacher you feel pretty strongly about this subject and seem very defensive, so I suspect if you're not a teacher then you know someone close to you who is. I don't hear you defending the 13 weeks annual holiday though?? That is just at state schools too... at private schools, teachers get even more time off.

Originally posted by markham

My last 3 posts contain three of your earlier quotes Tony.

Proof I think that this thread was originally aimed at 'bone idle' teachers with no 'gumption', and that's what me and others have been defending them against.

The 'moaning' bit comes in much later, and has nothing to do with school closures due to snow.

Markham, I realised that - after all they were my words, and they are hardly contradictory. However, specifically as regards the early posts that you quoted you know as well as I that my original post was a rhetorical statement directed at eliciting and inviting responses derived from the schools closing.

I still stand by my thought that collectively teachers as a breed have no gumption. You may choose to disagree, but that is your prerogative. I am sure that there are many hard working and / or talented teachers, but the majority of teachers are decidedly average, and some are downright useless.

Now if you want to talk about individual hard work, check my posting days and times. :)

No 'teacher' has yet closed a school because of snow. The first they hear of it is on the radio, or by phone.

So why can nobody give me a reasonable answer as to why most of the schools in the city shut down for a day because of the snow? Please feel free to correct me, but I am under the impression that head-teachers do that in consultation with their senior staff. Are they not teachers these days?

"Man finds his factory is closed for the day due to some fault. Does he say, 'I'll go in anyway and stand outside for 8 hours just to show I'm not bone idle?' or does he do what the teachers do and say, "Oh well, no work today so I'll stay at home".

If YOU were that teacher, what would you do?

I really don’t understand that statement.

Originally posted by Gillie

TONY!!!!!

28k is not a good wage when you compare it to what other graduates earn. I spent 4 years at university and left with an honours degree. I have worked for 10 years. I just feel I deserve the same wage as other graduates who have have worked 10 years. They are now talking about freezing teachers wages so I won't even get my tiny pay rise in April.

Sorry Gillie, but £28k is a very good wage, and you ably demonstrate how rarified the atmosphere is around teachers.

You chose the career path. I think that you have a selective memory when comparing teachers to other professions. Many people with equally hard jobs earn similar wages, and very many have harder jobs with smaller wages.

The above post is PRECISELY what I mean by “moaning teachers”. Your past, present and future is in your hands.

Originally posted by t020

That would be because this is a message board..... :rolleyes:

As a registered user, I have all the qualifications I need to comment on this or any other issue, thank you very much (you're not in class now, MISS).

As for owing everything to teachers...... I achieved good grades throughout my school 'career' but I owe it to myself for working hard and for my parents for encouraging me, supporting me, and for giving me the genetic make-up that made me intelligent in the first place :D

All teachers do is spoon feed the National Curriculum through various text books and tick marks against homework. At my school, they didn't really ever have to deal with any troublesome kids either. Markham - for someone who isn't a teacher you feel pretty strongly about this subject and seem very defensive, so I suspect if you're not a teacher then you know someone close to you who is. I don't hear you defending the 13 weeks annual holiday though?? That is just at state schools too... at private schools, teachers get even more time off.

My kids are achieving good grades. They are working hard. I encourage them. I support them. They are genetically intelligent(though God knows what that has got to do with it). But without their schooling they wouldn't know half of what they know now. And that's down to the teachers, not me (or their mum).

If you (as you so obviously do) think that your learning and knowledge is down to you, your parents, your genetic make-up, and teachers played little or no part in it, why are you now at Uni being taught? Surely, by your own admission, you can learn just as good at home, without any help from teachers/lecturers.

As for defending the 13 weeks off, that makes no difference to me at all. As long as the teachers are there for the other 39 weeks when my kids need them, that's ok by me.