Why are the schools closing?

Why are the schools closed when it snows?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Why are the schools closed when it snows?

• Teachers are bone idle and should be working instead of finding an excuse to wag it
    • Teachers are wise old owls and closing schools when it snows is the right thing to do
    • Teachers are upstanding pillars of the cumminuty and deserve an extra day off whenever they can

Originally posted by t020

So you're honestly saying you work 10 hour days, 5 days a week? Does this work pattern continue for 8 weeks of the 13 school holiday weeks? (I choose 8 since most people get about 5 weeks paid holiday a year, 8 is the extra Brucie bonus for teachers).

And Uni students?????

Originally posted by markham

As for school closures, imagine if the school was open as usual but just two teachers didn't make it for some reason till 10ish. That would leave 60 kids at a loose end and unsupervised for an hour. What a good idea that would be.

So are teachers different to the rest of the working population?? Most people don't have much trouble getting to work in an inch or 2 of snow, with cleared main roads. Also, I'm sure one of the teachers enjoying a chat in the staff room during one of their free periods could cover anyone who was a bit late.

Originally posted by markham

And Uni students?????

I pay for my education, I don't get paid. If the government wanted to pay me £25k+ a year for being a student then they can do, but until they do, you can't compare being a student with being a teacher. Teachers get paid to teach (despite having 25% of the year off).

So are teachers different to the rest of the working population?? Most people don't have much trouble getting to work in an inch or 2 of snow, with cleared main roads. Also, I'm sure one of the teachers enjoying a chat in the staff room during one of their free periods could cover anyone who was a bit late.

And which teacher do you think would be having a free period in an average primary school? Maybe the Head should look around the building a bit to see where this SPARE teacher is hiding. Maybe you could tell him t020, cos you seem to have the answer.

Incidentally, you wouldn't be studying teaching would you?

I pay for my education, I don't get paid. If the government wanted to pay me £25k+ a year for being a student then they can do, but until they do, you can't compare being a student with being a teacher. Teachers get paid to teach (despite having 25% of the year off).

So what you're actually saying is that you've never had a full time job so haven't got a clue about the life of a working person.

Or working 9-5, 47 weeks of the year so therefore are in no position to criticise those who do work for a living.

By the way, do YOU work to earn the money to pay for YOUR education, or does someone else?

t020 as usual you know Jack but shout your mouth off at every opportunity. I am a teacher who went to work today. I am at work by 7am everyday and finish at 4. I work at least 2 hours every evening and all day Sunday to complete my planning, assessments etc.

I have been a teacher for 10 years and love my job BUT compared to other graduates I only just earn 28k no bonus, no insentives and unlike any other job I don't come home close my door and forget about work. So next time you get on your soap box make sure you know what you are talking about!

Originally posted by Gillie

t020 as usual you know Jack but shout your mouth off at every opportunity. I am a teacher who went to work today. I am at work by 7am everyday and finish at 4. I work at least 2 hours every evening and all day Sunday to complete my planning, assessments etc.

I have been a teacher for 10 years and love my job BUT compared to other graduates I only just earn 28k no bonus, no insentives and unlike any other job I don't come home close my door and forget about work. So next time you get on your soap box make sure you know what you are talking about!

Well said Gillie. Glad a teacher has decided to put the facts.

And I'd say that this applies for ALL teachers now that the Education Authorities have messed around with the curriculum, set targets and placed so many special needs kids in mainstream schools thereby creating more work/planning/separate marking schemes and so on, and so on.

But there again, anyone who is a student would know this wouldn't they.

Well done to any teachers out there. You have my sympathy.

A teacher that can't even spell "incentives" correctly. :lol: The irony.

Markham - 9 - 5 for 47 weeks of the year is fine.... 9 - 3.30 for 39 weeks of the year isn't. As for primary teachers...... any adult with a normal level of intelligence should be able to teach small kids without any preparation at all. I just don't buy the idea that teachers work all these hours - I went to school but a few years ago, and I saw teachers chatting in the staff room when they could be marking, and sloping off at the end of the school day. I also know people who are teachers that moan and moan, yet they spend half of their time on foreign holidays (I suppose you'll tell me they'll take their books and a good red marking pen with them). I'm not saying teaching is easy because it isn't. I'm just saying, if you're honest, teachers have more holiday and free time than any other profession.

Once again t020 I offer you the chance to come to school, teach my class of 30, 7 year olds.

Opps yeah I forgot you are all mouth and with a very low level of intelligence.

Originally posted by Tony

Radio Sheffield are just listing all the schools that have decided to close because of the snow - of which there isn't really much.

Are schoolteachers today bone idle and just looking for an excuse not to go to work or something?

(Please excuse the spolling mistake in the poll)

I've only just seen this one.

Now come on. Do you honestly think that a teacher ( given the tight curricularamatic - I can make words up if I like - schedule they have to stick to) really are idle?

No. Never.

Rubbish.

Complete rubbish.

So they try to get out of doing their job at the slightest hint of a heavy frost. You're on thin ice there, Mate.

and with a very low level of intelligence.

:lol: :lol:

How do you spell 'incentive' again, Gillie??

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

I've only just seen this one.

Now come on. Do you honestly think that a teacher ( given the tight curricularamatic - I can make words up if I like - schedule they have to stick to) really are idle?

No. Never.

Rubbish.

Complete rubbish.

So they try to get out of doing their job at the slightest hint of a heavy frost. You're on thin ice there, Mate.

How many schools closed today?? From what I've heard, there were plenty.... all because of an inch of snow on side roads. If that isn't just an excuse for a 3 day weekend, I don't know what is.