Long Johns Where does the name come from.

Hi All Can anyone tell me where the term long johns when reffering to long legged underpants originated Thanks in advance.

The manufacturing foundations of long johns may lie in Derbyshire, England, at John Smedley's Lea Mills, located in Matlock. The company has a 225-year heritage and is said to have created the garment, reputedly named after the late-19th-century heavyweight boxer John L. Sullivan; the company still produces long johns.

---------- Post added 21-03-2014 at 16:26 ----------

Try Google, it's a great tool.

Didn't putting "etymology of "long Johns" into google work for you?

Thanks Itrytoplease. Just as a coincidence I was in Smedleys factory shop a couple of years ago and never thought about the connection so cheers for the info .Mick.

when robin hoods legs were cold wearing tights, he borrowed big johns and wore them under his own so maid marrion wouldnt see them, but they were too big but kept his legs warm so he kept them on. maid marrion noticed anyway and questioned him. he was going to lie to her but felt guilty at the same time and got tongue tied and said they are long johns. ever since then every man in sherwood and further started wearing two pairs of tights and (over time they got thicker as sheep were breeding more making materials widely available) they become known as long johns.

Hi All Can anyone tell me where the term long johns when reffering to long legged underpants originated Thanks in advance.

Not from Sheffield!

when robin hoods legs were cold wearing tights, he borrowed big johns and wore them under his own so maid marrion wouldnt see them, but they were too big but kept his legs warm so he kept them on. maid marrion noticed anyway and questioned him. he was going to lie to her but felt guilty at the same time and got tongue tied and said they are long johns. ever since then every man in sherwood and further started wearing two pairs of tights and (over time they got thicker as sheep were breeding more making materials widely available) they become known as long johns.

Well you learn summat new everyday,i will go to bed tonight a wiser man:D

Shame theres no way to search the internet for is kind of thing eh?

Shame theres no way to search the internet for is kind of thing eh?

Or how to spell this.

Edited by Kidorry