Frankenstein & The Monsters Group

"The church frowned upon some of the less savoury happenings down there."

Yes may, be but the rent was very welcome especially after the carpet man stopped coming.

Pete Stringfellow and the vicar were very good friends and kept in touch long after both had left Sheffield.

Originally posted by jiginc

"The church frowned upon some of the less savoury happenings down there."

Yes may, be but the rent was very welcome especially after the carpet man stopped coming.

Pete Stringfellow and the vicar were very good friends and kept in touch long after both had left Sheffield.

Good call, I had forgotten the carpet man, he used to have carpets & rugs hung over the railings, if he did that now he would spend most of his time chasing runaway carpets up Manor Lane.

I am struggling to remember the vicars name, but him and his wife used to act as foster parents, and one story that was related to me was about a young lad who had been dropped on them when his mother was rushed into hospital, and at breakfast he was given Weetabix which he hadn't had before, the Vicars wife asked him why he didn't eat it and he came back with "cos it looks like a lump of ****" to this day that lad affects my choice of cereals :)

The Vicars name was the Reverend Stephen Jerome.

Originally posted by jiginc

The Vicars name was the Reverend Stephen Jerome.

Cheers jignc, I know he was thought of very highly by some in the area. :thumbsup:

used to baby sit for ray on forster rd, in early 70`s. often used to pay with vinyl singles or albums.

Ray Stuart lived in Crookes for a while around 1979/80 time...also seen drinking on a regular basis in the YORK pub in Broomhill......I sat in on one of his afternoon shows once in 78 and he was a very chatty friendly bloke.....kept telling me about all the girls he shagged on a regular basis and some women then walked in with a pram (wife?) and slapped him round the head while on air.....it was hilarious....

he was a top DJ though....very professional and slick style....best Hallam had I think.....he had a great technique of starting one record while the other one was still playing out......probably the earliest example of 'mixing' on local radio actually, non of the others did that...

My dad was the drummer in this group. He was talking about him the other day. Does anyone happen to have any photos of the group? :) thankyou

I remember them at the Azena in Gleadless, he used to drop from the Balcony and chase girls into the toilets, He used to wear a cape if I remember.

He was a DJ on Radio Hallam and was still around a few years ago, but I think he was working in the background on local radio.

I still remember vividly being one of those girls and it must be 54/55 years ago? I was absolutely terrified and would have jumped from that toilet window if he'd got through the door!!

remember seeing them at st aidans and the azena,they used to do the first set as ray stuart and the tremors then second part as frankenstein and the monsters.

Did Ray Stuart live in the Norfolk Park High rised flats at one time?

Happy Days! PopT

He used to be a D.J. at the Arbouthorne Hotel.My first wife was one of his gogo dancers.

Good call, I had forgotten the carpet man, he used to have carpets & rugs hung over the railings, if he did that now he would spend most of his time chasing runaway carpets up Manor Lane.

I am struggling to remember the vicars name, but him and his wife used to act as foster parents, and one story that was related to me was about a young lad who had been dropped on them when his mother was rushed into hospital, and at breakfast he was given Weetabix which he hadn't had before, the Vicars wife asked him why he didn't eat it and he came back with "cos it looks like a lump of ****" to this day that lad affects my choice of cereals :)

I used to help the carpet man unload his van, his name was John and a lady who I think was his aunty used to come with him. They came from the Leeds area each Saturday and sometimes on a tue or wed evening.