Frankenstein & The Monsters Group

Does anyone remember Ray Stuart and his group 'Frankenstein and the Monsters'. He was also a popular Sheffield DJ.

We all thought he was great.

I wondered what happened to him or is he still in Sheffield?

I remember them at the Azena in Gleadless, he used to drop from the Balcony and chase girls into the toilets, He used to wear a cape if I remember.

He was a DJ on Radio Hallam and was still around a few years ago, but I think he was working in the background on local radio.

i'm sorry to say but i believe ray stuart died either last year or the year before.I can remember him d.jing at the heartbeat on queen's road if my memory serves me well.I also remember Pete Stringfellow having a contest at the Mojo as to was the most frightening Frankenstein and the monsters or Count Lindsay and the Skeletons another Sheffield group round about 1966!

Originally posted by feederfil

i'm sorry to say but i believe ray stuart died either last year or the year before.

Ray left Radio Hallam with bad feelings in 1987 and went to live in Lanzarote, working in local radio.

He died of cancer in October 1992.

Ray never played the Mojo as he did not fit that scene but in the early days of Frankenstein he was managed by Pete Stringfellow.

At one time for a short period the Monsters and the Skeletons were virtually the same band/personnel.

Ray was one of the pioneers on Hallam on its opening in November 1974.

I remember him in the road show they did in the summer in June 1975 in Pitsmoor talking live to the local folk.

I sat in with him in the studio in hartshead in October of the same year and watched him do his show after Mike Rousse one saturday morning.

Has anyone got any old tape recordings of him and the other old favourites Roussy and Kelly Temple, Moffatt and Skews.

Anyone know the wherabouts of Kelly Temple, I know Kieth Skews broadcasts in the Norfolk area these days and Roussy i believe took a back seat and worked behind the scenes at Hallam.

Those were the hey day of Radio Hallam...Sorry Hallam FM.

'The Monsters' were Eddy Falcons group, The Tremors. I remember the bass player was called Mick. When he got a new bass guitar, I bought his old one.

If we were in Hillfoot Social Club on Saturday night, Ray would often come in to sign 'The Book'. If any club had been let down, they would ring the Hillfoot to see who was available.

Originally posted by Cycleracer

I know Kieth Skews broadcasts in the Norfolk area these days

There used to be a rumour that Keith Skews was the inspiration for Alan Partridge of Radio Norwich fame.

Cannot possibly be true..... well maybe!!!!!

remember ray.big bloke.th times spud knifed him while doing the frankenstein act,purely accidental,heard ray died of cancer.great group,used to have the girls screeming in terror..he once chased me down the moof when i suggested he didnt need make up to play the part of frankenstein.....stud outside wilson and pecks one day with spud when police man told him he could not wear the medal he had on his jacket ( hippy 60,s/70,s ) spud said hed earned it ballet dancing.he renamed the group psycho daisies i think

Originally posted by PopT

Does anyone remember Ray Stuart and his group 'Frankenstein and the Monsters'. He was also a popular Sheffield DJ.

We all thought he was great.

I wondered what happened to him or is he still in Sheffield?

Ray Stuart lived across the road from me at heeley,man was he ugly,he did not need make up on stage,he was a nice bloke though & big.He worked at Radio Hallam

i used to see ray when he used to do the coffin act at the canon hall and the warncliffe and all the girls used to scream when he used to run off the stage into the audience. he was mentioned in the book "not like a proper job" and i do believe he has died. he did have a look of frankenstein though.

Frankenstein and the monsters.

I remember them when they played at St Aiden’s Church Hall on City Road. They left the coffin behind and we put someone in it and carried it across City Road on the Zebra crossing the looks we got from people on the bus was a treat to see.

Originally posted by jiginc

Frankenstein and the monsters.

I remember them when they played at St Aiden’s Church Hall on City Road. They left the coffin behind and we put someone in it and carried it across City Road on the Zebra crossing the looks we got from people on the bus was a treat to see.

That would be when St Aidens C.H. was the Black Cat Club, and that was run by the Stringfellow brothers too, they had some pretty good nights in, but the church frowned upon some of the less savoury happenings down there.;)