Would you walk through Pitsmoor alone after dark.

Would you walk through Pitsmoor alone after dark.  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Would you walk through Pitsmoor alone after dark.

• I would walk through on my own.
    • I would not walk through on my own.
    • I would not even walk through in the day.
    • I have no problems walking through any time.

The problem is though rob that most if not all of the stories tend to be true, and have been for quite some time!

I think the general view of these places from people on the forum outweigh the views of the people defending these places.

the general view of these places seem to be coming from people who have never walked through at night, nor would contemplate it due to the fact of the "reputation"

as the saying goes "dont knock something till you have tried it"

the people who have walked through pitsmoor at night times tend to be the ones who say they have no problem doing so, as they realise the reputation it upholds is not all it turns out to be.

im not saying it is the best area, because we all know it isnt, but its made out worse than it actually is. and 99 times out of 100 i can guarantee you wont have any problems with people whilst walking through. but the same i say would be said about ANY area

When I lived in Hunter's Bar, two years ago, my housemate was mugged at GUN point at the bottom of Hunter Hill Road.

I wouldn't walk through Pitsmoor, Hunter's Bar or anywhere else for that matter by myself after dark. Unless I really had too, in which case I'd take my chances because afterall we do live in Sheffield, not Sierra Leone.

Interesting thread... i've been drinking in the gower, grapes, oak and staff for about 10 years now and regularly stagger through Pitsmoor/Burngreave on my way home. I've never had any trouble at all or even seen any... i've seen far worse in town, on West Street and Eccy Road.

What does surprise me is the reaction of my friends when I ask them to join me... most tend to say something along the lines of "no, i don't want to get shot" but those that I have managed to persuade are regulars too now.

Got to agree (and as I stated earlier and got slated for it) Eccy Road is a much more dangerous spot - and before anyone says owt - its not the non-white people either, most of the yobs in that area are white and sadly with more money than sense.

Coffee is the only drug at walkley

I'm sure the police raided a cannabis "factory" a few weeks ago:D.

FTR. I would walk through any area of Sheffield (alone or in coompany) at any time of day:)

Have done many times (walked through Pitsmoor, alone and at night) felt safer walking alone there than walking along Ecclesall Road at night when I lived in Banner Cross...you don't get as many drunks in your path walking through Pitsmoor.

Sorry, I posted this on a different thread before seeing this one:

I walk alone through the area all the time, usually coming back from town. Either up Spital Hill and Burngreave Road, or over Rock Street. And I see plenty of other people doing the same (I am assuming that they're not all drug dealers). No-one is saying the area is perfect, but most people who have lived there for a while will tell you that it's improved significantly over the last 5-10 years. Last week's Telegraph says that Burngreave now has a crime rate lower than the Sheffield average. I rented somewhere in Ranmoor before I bought somewhere in Pitsmoor, and although Ranmoor is obviously very nice to look at, and very handy for the Peaks, I'd rather live in Pitsmoor because the people are nicer and friendlier.

I have been reading the forum for about 6 months, but don't post very often. Just really want to see whats going on at home. I moved 14 years ago to South Carolina. Grew up in Grimesthorpe, my parents still live there and I get home a couple of times a year. When I first started going out in town probably in the mid to late 80's we always walked home from town. The way home took us down the Wicker, up Spital Hill, through Ellsemere and Grimesthorpe Road. I never once had a problem. I left to come over here in 92 and still would walk home. Not sure if I would do it now though, but I do not know why??? Not sure whether I am just getting used to the life over here(people leave keys in car, car running, house left open all day etc with no problem) or is it the scaremongering on forum media etc about particular areas. I went running when I was home at Christmas. My route took me down Carlisle St and then up through Ellsemere and Petre St. Felt myself running a bit quicker than normal, but felt dissapointed at myself for feeling a little worried! I would say that when people live in an area they don't see the problems that are going on in an area. I think if you are around something everyday you don't see it changing over time. I have been home every year and have progressively seen the are where I grew up get filthier and filthier, but my mum and dad don't see it (I know this is a different topic)

is it the scaremongering on forum media etc about particular areas.

Scaremongering nope, these are the facts, its in our newspapers everyday.

I am getting vibes that this area may have improved in the last few years so maybe it is not as bad as first thought, however we know about its problems but my main issue is would you walk through Pitsmoor alone at night.

I try not to walk anywhere alone after dark.

I've been up to pitsmoor lots though and it doesn't seem too bad, never had any hassle (that's just during the day though)

Lets put it this way, I wouldn't want any of my female family etc alone there at night, but I would walk through myself yes.

I would say Pitsmoor is on a par with southey, manor top etc. There are always ********s that spoil the fun for everyone, but on the whole its ok.

I have never had a fear of any area of Sheffield at night. This comes from my teenage years being in the 60's, walking to town from the Mojo in the early hours of the morning was never a problem. The opportunity will probably not present itself again but I would like to think that I could do it without bricking myself.